PDA

View Full Version : LGAV closed due to snow

tetraNG
13th Feb 2004, 15:11
LGAV Athens "Eleftherios Venizelos" airport is closed ufn due to snow on both runways.Airport authorities estimate opening of airport after 1200 UTC.

Rwy in Sight
13th Feb 2004, 16:58
This the the current METAR for LGAV

2004/02/13 08:50
LGAV 130850Z 33009KT 0100 R03R/0400V0550N R03L/0400V0600U +SN BLSN BKN005 BKN015 OVC050 M03/M04 Q1014 NOSIG

Does anyone know what R03R/0400V0550N and R03L/0400V0600U stand for? I understand that this refers to rwy 03R and 03L but is it about visibility or breaking?

Now regarding the closure it seems that the people running the airport are good only at getting extremely top salaries (in Europena level) and very little else. Fortunately their monopolistique (sp?) position and sky high taxes and fees ensure that their salaries would be paid.

And this statement is supported by the fact that it is the second
time in 3 years that the airport comes to a halt because of snow. People in position knew about the weather some 48 hours ago and they did nothing to prepare for a snowstorm.

Let's hope that some heads will roll and huge compensations are paid to airlines and pax alike.

Rwy in Sight

Electric Sky
13th Feb 2004, 17:52
Does anyone know what R03R/0400V0550N and R03L/0400V0600U stand for? I understand that this refers to rwy 03R and 03L but is it about visibility or breaking?

The "V" means that the RVR is varying by more than 50m and the min and max values are given. The letter "N" is a trend indicator meaning that there is no distinct change during the period and the "U" indicates an increasing trend.

ES ;)

Anti-ice
13th Feb 2004, 21:25
Blizzards in Istanbul too supposedly, airport closed till 2200 i believe, and the sea has frozen there too!!

Jerricho
13th Feb 2004, 21:39
Global warming my @ss! ;)

LightTwin Driver
14th Feb 2004, 02:55
Blizzards in Istanbul too supposedly

Came past Istanbul earlier today on the way home from Kuwait.
It was blowing 40kts from the North with RVR of 100m in heavy snow.
We kept going !!

BONDMAN
14th Feb 2004, 06:00
Was working 12feb n/shift and 03L had been closed since late evening on 12th. ATH seemed to do a pretty good job at keeping a/f open as long as they did considering the amount and continous snowfall they had, considering we grind to halt as soon as 0.005mm drops onto the threshold.

dancav
14th Feb 2004, 08:51
Strange but true how a place that gets snow here once in a blue moon can cope but I had to spend a night at STN for probably a similar amount? Aparentley STN had boasted the fact that they could cope with the snow??? Yasas BAA!!! malakas!

pigboat
14th Feb 2004, 10:33
The weather sequence indicates blowing snow (BLSN). How do you get blowing snow with a wind of nine kt? :confused:

Rwy in Sight
15th Feb 2004, 01:07
LGAV did an excellent job at lying about what they are doing. Early on 13.02.04 they were saying that the airport was operating normally. It took them some 20 hours to clean just 2,9 km on 03R! Talk about incompetence

The web site makes no reference to the situation and some people they were flying from LGTS today (14.02.04) on a day trip for business reason and their plan has been cancelled.

The people supposedly responsible fro snow cleaning operations at LGAV should be very good at backgamon and cigarettes smoking by now since I doubt they step a foot outside. It seems they learnt absolutely nothnig from the previous storm some two years ago.

BAA at least would have the decency to apologize for the incovinience.

Anyone from LGAV care to comment?

Breaking news: Finally some positive reactions from the Greek goverment. The minister of Trasport asked the Greek CAA to fine the airport operating company with the small amount of 3,0 millions Euro. Way to go I hope the airlines would sue for damages.

Rwy in Sight

Falling in love with General Aviation everytime I have to use LGAV.

dancav
16th Feb 2004, 08:53
No appologies from BAA as to what happened at STN, only from the airlines. Shame the cheap skate airlines couldn't fly out later when the runway was reopened. Seems as though they havent learnt from last year or was it in November?
As for ATH I think the last time it snowed like this was about 15 years ago. I expect they had been drinking a bit too much Ouzo too?! At least there government is willing to give some sort of compensation and pax were looked after!!!
Recommendation:- STN to have sleeping bags available and shops still open. When runways open, delayed planes go. Simple!?
Runway in sight? Far from it!

Rwy in Sight
16th Feb 2004, 14:18
LGAV was shut down because of snow in early 2002 at people were seriously inconvinced back then. The operating company said that it was a very rare event so they took no measures since doing so would cost them money and make them work.

The fine was from the Hellenic CAA to the operating company and fortunately airlines are about to file for damages.

As for LUton users don't pay 30something Euros in airport fees every time they fly.

It would be intresting to know how many Hellinikon LGAT has been closed in the previous decades

Rwy in Sight

suppie
16th Feb 2004, 15:12
Dancav
dont think U understand howmany flights a airplane flies per day
for example an EZY a/c makes approx 4-6 rotations per day....if the 1st flt departs with about 8 hrs delay what will happen with the last flt u think???;)