PDA

View Full Version : how do i start?

donaldstan
12th Feb 2004, 14:50
i've just graduated with a degree in Computer Sc. I'm in my early 20s. No flying experience but really want to be a pilot.

what I'm doing now is I wait for airlines to open for recruitment of cadet pilot and then apply.

what else can i do? i'm brand new in this line and do not know how to start. any advice? thanks in advance.

Megaton
12th Feb 2004, 15:59
1. Buy Clive Hughes' Guide to Becoming a Commercial Pilot.
2. Get Class 1 medical from CAA.
3. Spend lots and lots of money.

donaldstan
14th Feb 2004, 02:32
spend lots and lots of money??? dont get it...

thanks a lot anyway. tried to find that book in my local bookstores but failed. its also not available in Amazon. i only found it in 1 website but my country is not listed. cant buy. but wil continue to find.

the book i found is called "the guide to becoming a professional pilot". hope its the same one...

if got any info, pls update. thanks.

v2004
14th Feb 2004, 03:25
donaldstan,

Firstly, have more than one plan, your putting all your eggs in one "unreliable" basket if you wait for airline sponsorship.
You should consider getting a class 1 medical. Go to your local flying school and go on an intro flight (usually 30min).
Airlines like to see that your a team player, and that your a well rounded person (so i hear).
Thats my 2 cents.......

boeingbus2002
14th Feb 2004, 06:35
I see you are in Malaysia, several airlines in that region offer cadetships, Malaysian, Royal Brunei, Cathay. (If you are nationals of those countries)

Big tip is get class 1 medical first. If you have a medical problem, better to find out now and save yr money.

Next is some flying lessons, flying light aircraft is a different experience to commercial airliners. Gives u a chance to see if you really like it or not.

Clive Hughes book is mainly for UK/European licences. Although it has some general advice about other routes to get licence.

You are still young, why not start work in yr field of computing..save up for few years and pay yourself. Many have done this route, and although it may take longer you will have a more "mature" outlook when completeing your training.

Mersea
24th Feb 2004, 22:56
I've sent you Clive Hughes's home number and flying club number on Private Messages.....may be a bit out date though....

They date from when I first started ATPL training five years ago, and look where I am now......still in IT, with an fATPL and some large loan repayments. :{

The thing is with this game is to keep plugging away at it, the hours keep building so something will turn up soon....:ok:

Mer...