PDA

View Full Version : Airbus A310 - why ?

daithi.r
11th Feb 2004, 03:58
i would appreciate any information from jockeys/engineers or otherwise interested parties on the A310. i have always felt that they were and are a much under utilised a/c in europe yet they seem much more popular in Asia and the USA. I have always thought personally that they are a very versatile a/c and would really like to hear any feedback from folks familiar with type.

many thks
Daithi

Festusslowpoke
11th Feb 2004, 04:10
Let's talk about REAL airplanes..like Boeings:cool:

chiglet
11th Feb 2004, 04:15
Fest,
REAL aeroplanes are aaaaaaaanytthing but Boings
watp,iktch

Festusslowpoke
11th Feb 2004, 04:24
Whatever you say Chiglet. Have fun flyin your piece of junk then:ok:

S.Martinez
11th Feb 2004, 04:31
Airbus A310 are very good aircraft.

Start to fly in 82 as -200, initialy limited to 132 Tons MTOW, the last versions with PW4156A shows 164 T MTOW and up to 60 T of fuel with two ACT.

First Aircraft with B767-200 to fly ETOPS.

If you need specs, send me a mail.

normally left blank
11th Feb 2004, 16:51
Just had a German Air Force A-310 pass through. The reason they "spill" down to the military is apparantly, that a "new" A310 would be a version of the A330. That wing is just amazingly clean. Nice landing gear as well. Only problem for military customers the A310 needs civil type cargo handling.

Best regards

greybeard
11th Feb 2004, 21:59
Gidday,

A-310/A-300-600 was one of the first in many areas we accept as "normal" in todays electronic world. EFIS, ECAM, some so called "fly-by-wire" in the Thrust lever system, no 3rd crew for a wide body.
It is quite "French" in subtle ways, could perhaps be an aircraft considered to be "overpowered", goes quite a long way hence one of the early ETOPS approvals were granted to this type and once you get used to the odd intermittant transient warning keeping you alert in the dark an absolute delight to operate.

Time has meant some changes to the Emerg/Abnormals which cannot be absorbed by the ECAM so there are some quite lengthy paper lists to do in one or two areas.

GW T/Off for a 7 hour sector, straight to FL310, M0.8, about 5000kg/hr for up to 8hrs, usually the toilets filled up before the fuel ran low on the longer ones if you were full and the punters were awake and drinking.

FMS/IRS good fun, if a subtle "drifter" on an odd sector or two which can catch the lazy who didn't keep up to date, VVTS and VGZR were classics for this.

Could BITE YOU IN THE A*SE if you misshandled them in a missed approach, particularly if hand flying, auto brakes which were startling on an RTO from high speed as I am informed so are others, but this was my first with this function.

Not as sporty as an F-28, or as sweet as a Lear, but if the phone rings for a job in the front row, on my way for more fun.

C YA

:ok:

normally right blank
12th Feb 2004, 00:52
Ah! Autobrakes. That explains the smoke from the landing gear/the carbon brakes. And the wait before the next t/o to cool? (The German A310 mentioned above). It was a checkflight.

Best regards