PDA

View Full Version : Ryanair Simulator Profiles

BoeingBoy
11th Feb 2004, 00:56
Hi,

I have been asked by a young friend to offer some coaching for a forthcoming ride in a 767 simulator for a Ryanair job assessment.

It would be of great use to me if I had some knowledge of what the ride will contain and so I was wondering if anyone has just flown it, or has knowledge of the manouvers to be expected then I would be very grateful for a report of what the day contains.

Do I presume that a straight take off and clean up, followed by some general handling, a twin engined ILS with a go around followed by maybe a bit of single engined work is normal?

I note that the search facility has been disabled on this forum so I apologise if this subject has been discussed before.

Any help would be appreciated.

Capt D. Barrington.
Boeing Fleet.
First Choice Airways.
Manchester.

trainer too 2
11th Feb 2004, 05:29
The assesment is all down to the TRTO the person in question is doing the assesment at . It varies as the TRTO wants to be sure this person will succeed, thus I suggest a general session with attention to the MCC part.

frogone
11th Feb 2004, 07:04
Not too sure if the B767 is used for assesments. I have heard of the following sims being used for Ryanair:

GECAT Gatwick: B737-300 or NG
SAS: F70
CAE: B200
RWL: No cx carried out there yet to the best of my knowledge.

Anyone got anymore info on the sims used?

:confused:

Irishrover

BoeingBoy
11th Feb 2004, 15:03
Thanks for the replies.

I was surprised at the use of a 767 too, but on reflection the fact that the 76 handles very lightly and is reminiscent of the old 737-200 in that respect would make a certain amount of 'Irish Logic'

I'll work on the general scenario as described above.

Any further info would be appreciated.

Global Pilot
11th Feb 2004, 15:29
A buddy of mine did a sim for Ryanair last August so this info might be a bit dated. It was with CAE, I believe and recall it was a normal t/o from AMS following some SID. AWK enroute to Charleroi for an ILS. AWK included rate one turns, intercepting and tracking on VOR and once level accelerating to and decelerating from Vno while maintaining alt. All normal procedures with no surprices! Duration just over an hour!

Sorry this is a bit vague! He passed sim and has is currently line training..

monkeyboy
11th Feb 2004, 15:50
When I spoke to GECAT last month about the sim check for the self sponsored route they mentioned either the 73NG or the 75/76 if the 73 wasn't available.

MB

Sir Kitt Braker
12th Feb 2004, 01:09
Hi Guys and Gals,

Now you must all stop worrying - we use 737 Classic, NG, 757,767 or DC10, whatever is free, and we make it a really great session. They are all aeroplanes, all flown at the same speed and all have conventional flight instruments. They all go up if you pull and down if you push and the things in the middle make it go faster or slower.

If you can fly, have basic IF skills, know roughly where you are in relation to an NDB and have a little left over to show you can learn - then you will have no problem at all. As for which route out of our many choices - well, we don't know ourselves till we pick up a folder on our way to meet you in the (free) coffee lounge!

We just want to make sure that you are not wasting your hard-borrowed money and that you will finish up competent and confident at skill test time.

Looking forward to meeting you all - I'm the big tall ugly one with a moustache (carrying an axe....!)

Sir Kitt Braker

michaelknight
12th Feb 2004, 04:01
Someone trying to be a comedian????

Tosh McCaber
12th Feb 2004, 06:08
Sir Kitt,

Your profile intrigues me- how can you be an assessor at Gecat or wherever, and be based in St.Kitts? I'm not being rude- just wondering. (I'd love to be based in St. Kitts, assessing potential candidates!)

BarajasGuy
12th Feb 2004, 09:36
Dear Tosh

Sir Kitt Braker stands for Circuit Braker I presume :8

And I'm not an english guy. I come from the land where the best oranges grow! ;) And the best bananas too, if you don't mind heading south, towards the seven fortunate islands (20N latitude aprox), where you, english gents, are very welcome any time of the year!

I have applied to all Ryanair TRTO's, I hope to meet Mr. Sir Kitt Braker on my sim assessment, will be kind of relaxing.

:ok:

PS: It's too late. I have to get my ATR electric system theory done today!

Dear Tosh

Sir Kitt Braker stands for Circuit Braker I presume :8

And I'm not an english guy. I come from the land where the best oranges grow! ;) And the best bananas too, if you don't mind heading south, towards the seven fortunate islands (20N latitude aprox), where you, english gents, are very welcome any time of the year!

I applied to all Ryanair TRTO's, I hope to meet Mr. Sir Kitt Braker on my sim assessment, will be kind of relaxing.

PS: It's too late. I have to get my ATR electric system theory done today!

Goldfinger
12th Feb 2004, 16:02
Boeing Boy,

How long was it from when your friend made an application to Ryanair/Gecat to hearing they had an assessment day ?

Would you mind enquiring....

Good luck to them as well !!!

Goldfinger

frogone
12th Feb 2004, 18:14
Has anyone actually been called for a Ryanair sim check yet?

Irishrover

Irish_Roll
17th Feb 2004, 03:30
Sir Kitt,

Does GECAT provide prospective students with the speeds for the 767 and does the sim check involve single engine work?

Would be a great help knowing what to expect if called!! :D

Can anyone else shed any light on these Advanced Compass test which GECAT have now employed into their recruitment process? I've seen the outline of what it entails but the maths and pilot knowledge parts are bringing on severe migranes :uhoh:

Best regards and luck to all those who get as far as ......

the AXE man :\

Sir Kitt Braker
17th Feb 2004, 21:32
We use weights that make the profiles/speeds as similar as possible and the 767 is in fact more stable and easier to fly than the 737. The briefing lasts an hour and no question is too stupid - really you will enjoy getting your hands on a big aircraft. As for the Compass, we are new to it too and will be looking for a reliable correlation between those results and the sim assessments. I did the tests myself - but no-one will show me the result!

Forgot to add - depending on your experience, might get you to fly a hold or two asymmetric so that you can see how it feels..

SKB

Irish_Roll
18th Feb 2004, 04:41
Sir Kitt,

thank you for the speedy response to the last post. I have just 3 questions I hope you can answer.

1- Do candidates get sent the pitch and power settings for the sim prior to their assessment? :confused:

2- Can you give any indication the level of technical knowledge and math proficiency required in the compass test? :{

3- How big is the axe and is it very bloody? :uhoh: :}

tanx.

IR

Kinetic
18th Feb 2004, 06:22
Dear Sir Kit,

It's great to see you write, and to hear it straight from the source, to dispell some of our fears and try to put us at ease....... or as much ease as is possible in such situations.

I look forward to seeing you next Wednesday, tall ugly one also, only no moustache and armed only with Bernoullis theorum and a couple of rounds of cheese and pickle........

Are you the likely left seat occupant or the one watching in the jump seat? Just so I know from which direction the axe is coming and I can prepare accordingly!

Thanks for the advice Sir Kitt.

Hoping I avoid the chop..

Kinetic

joe
18th Feb 2004, 16:02
kinetic. Are you going for the assestment at Gecat.

If so how long has it taken from initial application to gaining an interview/ sim ride.

It would also be great to know your experience level i.e new grad / instructor.

good luck

joe

Kinetic
18th Feb 2004, 20:48
Joe Hi,

sent you PM

Sir Kitt Braker
19th Feb 2004, 22:34
Irish Roll

No, we don't send them out - there're are only three pitch and power settings to remember for each type.

The maths is what I remember as 'O' level, bit of long division etc

The axe is lowered gently on rare occasions with the advice that the time is not yet right - and that time is needed to get your flying up to speed - because a jet conversion course is not the place for doing that...

SKB

BoeingBoy
23rd Feb 2004, 05:46
thanks for the replies to all of you.

SKB, is the test based on 767 profiles or the fixed flap schedule of the 737? doesn't matter really but it would help to know.

My student has a bit of 727 flight sim time and I wonder if you are looking for handling ability or airways aptitude,

frogone
28th Feb 2004, 19:48
Correction to earlier post, SAS don't have a F70, I think they use the F28 that they have.

Irishrover

joe
30th Mar 2004, 14:16
Does anyone have any idea when the next round of ryan interviews are likely to be at gecat?

atb Joe

PENNINE BOY
30th Mar 2004, 22:02
IRISH ROVER

I applied to the Ryans over 18 months ago, after a few emails from Decclan Dooney I got an invite to go over to Amsterdam last week for an interview.

But I was fortunate to recieve a start date the week before with another carrier without having to boost O Learys pension fund with heaps of euros.

Hang on in there Guys the tide is definately turning !!!
Keep your Brass in your pockets !!!!!