PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth training abroad in the hope of an instructor position?

campbell83
10th Feb 2004, 22:32
I would like some opinions on whether is it worth training abroad (ab-initio to fATPL) in the hope of an instructor position at an organisation such as EFT or Delta Connection? I am debating whether to do this or stay in the UK and train with Multiflight or Cabair modular in the hope of getting an airline position. But with only 200 hours is it worth it or do Airlines prefer more hours? And do they respect an establishment such as EFT?

FlyingForFun
10th Feb 2004, 22:41
If instructing is what you want to do, and you have a JAR license, there are far more JAR schools in the UK than the US - I'm not quite sure why you've singled out the US schools as potential employers. And in any case, I don't think that where you train makes any more difference to getting an instructor position than it does to getting an airline position? :confused:

If you are thinking of JAR instructing in the US, though, remember that, as well as a JAR FI or FI(R) rating, you will also need an FAA CPL/CFI.

FFF
-----------

campbell83
10th Feb 2004, 23:10
My intention is to train with EFT or Delta as they offer the instructor ratings and employment (max 2yrs) as part of the course price and all JAA + FAA licences, then return to UK in the hope I will look more attractive to the airlines. I realise there is a chance I wont go straight onto airline work but I will be at least qualified to instruct here so I will keep current and be getting paid. If however I do the course in the UK for the same price (£30,000), I wont have the instructor ratings or 1000hrs so I’m ******ed keeping current let alone paying bk the money if I don’t go straight to the airlines. But all of that is useless anyway if the airlines prefer the UK schools. :confused: any info from those who have followed various routes appreciated:)