PDA

View Full Version : FI pay and conditions

pa28biggles
9th Feb 2004, 19:39
I hesitate to ask the following at the risk of sounding rude, but it'll help me to make a few decisions. :)
One option after getting the CPL/IR is to get an FI(R) rating to do some flight instructing. I want to build hours and I like to teach, it'll be good experience I think.
However, all I hear (with a few exceptions) is "You don't want to do that, its poorly paid" etc etc as I am sure that you all know.
So, how much do instructors typically get paid?
What are the conditions (hrs/days worked per week, number of holidays etc)??
Thank you to all that reply. :ok:

Field In Sight
9th Feb 2004, 20:57
If you look back in this forum there was thread on pay recently.

To summarise though:

Pay between 10-20 pounds per flight hour. Basically 10 grand per year on average.

You will probably be self employed and therefore the number of hours worked/holidays taken will be linked to how busy the school is/you want to be.

I really like the school I work at, but you don't have to read this forum for too long find stories of poor/terrible conditions.

Instructing can be really good fun and I believe it is the most realistic way of improving your chances of progresssing in aviation (I bloody hope so anyway).

FIS

pa28biggles
10th Feb 2004, 15:19
Thank you for your reply.

dwnunderblunderer
25th Feb 2004, 18:18
Mate, instructing is awesome. it pays ****- surprise! just do it, its basically the only way through to a job that pays well. I started out bout 1.5 years ago and hated it but now that i have more experience it is so rewarding id happly stay instructing if it paid good. The amazing people ive met in such a short time and the freindships that ive got thru it are truely fantastic. Get a part time job tho you will need it unless you have support from family or partner. Good luck mate.

sam white
1st Mar 2004, 02:57
I enjoy instructing too, i have only been at it for a few months bur it is great, and you cant help but accumulate hours, I have to change my CV every month to add another 50 hours.

But why do a IR????

An IMC is sufficient, and if you will instruct for a year, how much interest will that IR money make in a bank, or more realisticaly how much less will your loan be!!!

and when it come to an IR you will be a better handler and will therefore do it in less time.

I did an IR then FIC but regret it.

its just a thought.

Hare O Plane
11th Mar 2004, 23:14
Instructing.............. Love it!

300hrs + in a summer, all PIC time, but the pay is normally only based on airborne time. So just pray for good weather and X-Winds to be within limits. The norm for PPL is £12-18 per hour.

But be prepared for long hours in the summer, the Trial Lesson who tells you they feel sick about 3 nanoseconds before the :mad: empties the contents of their stomach all over the instruments of the pride of the fleet:yuk: , and the student who was so nervous they forgot to use the deodorant before working hard in a hot cockpit. Any clubs out there got a training bird with air conditioning?

I did the FIC about 6 months before my IR so my total hours looked better on the CV. Still hunting!:{

I've had some really good times instructing. Sure you'll enjoy it if you get the rating.

HOP