PDA

View Full Version : Observers, observe!

EDDNHopper
7th Feb 2004, 18:32
I have been a member of PPRUNE for many years now (it may not show in my profile - I once forgot my ID and password and had to create a new one). I am not a professional pilot. By boarding an aircraft I help you to feed the mouths of your children, while you, in return, take me safely from A to B and make sure that I can kiss my loved ones hello once I am back on the ground.

I believe itīs only fair if I get to know a little bit more about whatīs going on at the front desk, while you (with you cockpit doors firmly locked now) will or should know about whatīs occupying the poor minds of those sitting in 10F or 54B. However, I was able to spread a rumour or two in this forum, confirm one or two others, and even stimulate a few interesting discussions. Still, I would consider myself a humble outside observer of this forum.

From this position, I cannot help but notice two developments here which have become more and more apparent over the past few months:

a) Repetition. Someone recently mentioned in his/her post that PPRUNE was almost like the BBC, in repeating topics and debates increasingly often. (I know that, in writing this, I am only repeating others...) The PPRUNE community is growing fast, members are coming and going, and the search function is not available, but still, before starting a new thread it might be a good idea to browse through the topics posted some time back. Just two examples of recent threads (no offence meant to the topic starters!!): The A300 tail fin/rudder discussion, and the discourse on how to fly or not to fly a NP approach (Crossair Bassersdorf thread). The last one has been discussed on PPRUNE in extensio shortly after the accident, and has been picked up many, many times. NEW insights or developments which were revealed by the recent official report remained almost unnoticed. Only a few contributors here noticed a close link to the Saab 340 accident a year earlier (a thread which was started by myself several weeks ago), which clearly showed that the overall professional environment the pilots worked in at that time was a very unfavourable one (an airline growing rapidly and obviously developing shortcomings when it came to recruitment and monitoring procedures, crew pairing, etc.). Instead of truely professional, and new, inputs, the debate went, once again, along NP approaches and the Swiss-German routing disputes (also exteeeennnsively discussed on PPRUNE before). This leads me to...

...b) Decreasing professionalism. One-timers come, post a question, and leave. Some place far-fetched assumptions, often backed by dilletante media reports. Others merely repeat what has been discussed before. On only rare occasions, nowadays, I have the impression that the lines of argument come from a true expert in his/her field. Personal accusations are common. "Rumours and News" lacks CRM.

I know that by posting this here I might add to the list of unprofessional comments. But I decided to place my thread in "rumours and news" because much of what I am saying here refers to topics posted in this section. Dear moderators, please excuse me should I have broken the forum rules.

I am clueless at what could be done. I would hate to watch PPRUNE deteriorating. For me it is still a very valuable source of knowledge, inspiring ideas, information, and confidence. I would not want to be offered a new forum with restricted access, or even see this great forum shut down. Professionals, discuss! Observers, observe!

Danny
7th Feb 2004, 18:41
Thank you for your observations. Welcome to internet bulletin boards. Read this thread (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116267) for an accurate assessment of what happens.

EDDNHopper
7th Feb 2004, 21:55
Brilliant thread! To the point, and - as opposed to mine - from the side of humour. Should have observed more closely...