PDA

View Full Version : Declaring a previous accident to employer at interview!

Global Pilot
4th Feb 2004, 20:34
I was involved in a minor accident in a light aircraft about 9 months ago. It was a private flight with no injuries other than to my pride as I was the sole occupant. The relevant authority has issued a full report. In a number of recent interviews (unsucessful) I have had for first officer positions, I have made details of the accident known. However I cannot help think that this has come against me when it comes to proceeding with the recruitment process.

Any views you may have on whether I should declare or withhold this information for future job opportunities would be greatly appreciated.
:*

Ropey Pilot
4th Feb 2004, 21:40
Hard to say - in current climate there are 000's of potential FOs who have not had a prang. Don't know if you are low hours fATPL or 3000 hr redunacy victim seeking remployment, but in either case, how else does your CV stand out from the crowd (in a positive way, obviously easier if you are the latter case).

With respect to not mentioning it, difficult. I wouldn't volunteer the info unless asked (which I am sure you will be). But witholding...:ooh: It is out in the public domain already - would you 'forget' to mention a drink driving or murder conviction?

Don't know if it was come out on a background security check or the like anyway, but if it did and you were already on the team would they ge rid of you for a little fib about an innocent and properly handled aviation learning experience? :confused:

Very tricky. textbook answer would be to play it straight - not easy to do if unemployed for several years:( .

RP

redsnail
4th Feb 2004, 21:42
If you are asked directly "any accidents or incidents" then it is wise to admit to it. Esp if it was formally investigated. If you don't and their queries uncover this then they will definitely not employ you.
It is possible to turn a negative experience (such as dinging an a/c) into a positive one. I would sit down with someone who is in the industry or someone experienced at hiring folk and practice discussing this incident. What did you learn from it? That's what they want to see.
If you can, ask for some interview feedback. You may find it's something else tripping you up.

FlyingForFun
4th Feb 2004, 22:42
I'm not looking for jobs just yet, but when I do I'll be in a very similar situation to you, so it's something I've put a fair bit of thought into.

My thoughts were pretty much exactly the same as what both Ropey and Reddo have said already. Definitely don't hide it, but don't volunteer information either. If asked about it, then be honest, and turn it into a positive thing by showing what you've learnt from it.

Good luck!

FFF
------------

Bealzebub
4th Feb 2004, 23:11
Difficult one to answer. The only form I have seen this question asked on is the Class 1 medical renewal /issue questionaire.
Any history of accidents may be pertinant to an employer from an insurance point of view. As such witholding that information would almost certainly amount to a failure to disclose relevant and important information. I think you must therefore disclose the fact prior to starting employment. However I cannot really say if this should be brought up at interview or if you should disclose it after an offer of employment has been made. Certainly if you did the latter it would confirm or dispel your doubt.

P1 Forever
5th Feb 2004, 01:00
Hi guys,

I kind of agree with the above however, I would like to ask, are all accidents and incidents in the UK on the www.aaib.dft.gov.uk website or can people elect to NOT have their name or incident disclosed. The reason I ask is if this is the case then how else can the company who conduct the interview access this information.

Just a thought.....

Cheers for now!

Global Pilot
5th Feb 2004, 14:35
Thanks for the advice on this issue guys. Difficult world out there in the job market and good to get frank answers to a genuine question. Flying for fun, if you want to swap email address, when you are looking for work i will be happy to share my interview experiences.

rgds,

GB. :ok:

FlyingForFun
5th Feb 2004, 16:30
P1,

I don't think there's any way you can elect to not have an incident published on that website, but the website does not include the pilots' names, so it wouldn't be any use to employers wishing to check a pilot's accident history.

Even so, to try to hide it would be foolish. The incident would, presumably, have been notified to the insurance company, and I'm pretty sure that insurance companies will check their own records even without their customers asking them to, so I doubt you'd get away with it even if you were dishonest enough to be the kind of person who would want to try.

Global Pilot,

I'm about to send you a private message, since I would love to swap experiences.

FFF
-------------

Downhill Runner
5th Feb 2004, 21:35
I had previously posted a question in this forum about “Incident & Accident” notification, but didn’t get much of a reply.

If for example, our friend here chose not to reveal his little prang ….. then is there a central Databank of names for example of those who have had an incident or accident anywhere in the world?

Or are potential employers likely to go to the Authorities each time they employ someone new??

P1 Forever
6th Feb 2004, 15:09
Hello,

As I have said before, I agree with the above with regards to declaring involvement in an accident/incident.

However, what kind of reaction would you get from an interview panel by this, obviously you would have to turn it into a positive by letting them know that you have learned from it, but would they still consider you as a potential FO?

Personally, I think it would be silly to think that you could have a career span of around 30 years without being involved in such an incident, therefore it must be quite a common question at interview.

P1