PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Flight Training - OFT

SWADLER747
4th Feb 2004, 04:33
Has anyone completed, or have any inforamtion, other than the website (www.flyoft.com) on the IMC Rating that they offer.

How was/is the course?

Cheers

mazzy1026
4th Feb 2004, 19:16
I have no personal experience of this flying school whatsoever but have done a hell of a lot of learning about it from these forums.

I suggest you run a search on these forums and it will take you all day to read through the opinions expressed.

Regards

Lee :sad:

nottelling
5th Feb 2004, 16:29
I got my PPL at OFT. I do not know about their IMC course. My experience was that every thing cost more than they told you :*
so make sure you know exactly what you are paying for! For example I paid for a PPL package it cost me another couple of thousand dollars because I could nt fit in the C152 so I flew the cadet, I also had more than the minimum dual lessons so yet more cost ....
I dont know wether you are looking at stopping in their apartments, but my advice would be to seriously consider the extra cost of the hotel as it is well worth while.

Having slaged the place off, don't let me discourage you. The instructors were all very approachable the facilities at the school are good, the PA28s were all in good condition, the instruction clearly works well I passed my skills test with a total of 46 hours flying time.

And most important looking back I enjoyed my time at OFT

NT:ok:

zickler
5th Feb 2004, 19:00
Hi there, just make a search on OFT on these forums, and you should get loads of information which should help you make your decision. My opinion of them, not good at all, but have a look for yourself. Good luck with your training :ok:

maeshyfryd
5th Feb 2004, 22:55
Don't bother - go elsewhere !

spitfire747
6th Feb 2004, 01:59
i second that maeshyfryd !!

trainer too 2
6th Feb 2004, 16:54
Just some general points on flight training in the US and OFT in particular, experience build up through flying at a number of them:

General at all us schools:
Things always cost app 10% more than you expect
you have to sort out things you thought where sorted, like medicals, transport etc
Schools do not see you as the next big thing to hit aviation after Concorde, they need you as a means to make money.

OFT in particular:
Best Aircraft I have flown in, new and well equipped
Very international oriented both instructors and student wise (that can be good or bad)
Loved the Hotel that is appr10 minutes walking away
Cheap food joints available all around the Hotel (very important := )
Nice airport with a variety of training.

I would recommend OFT when taking the above general points into account. Other option was Naples but have not been there lately.

zickler
6th Feb 2004, 18:51
OFT in particular: Best Aircraft I have flown in, new and well equipped

When have you been there trainer 2? Must have been quite a while ago, because I have been there recently and you cannot say the fleet is new or well equipped. Have you seen the state of the C152's? Wires on the floor everywhere, no working VOR's, transponders, instrument lights, dented wing-leading edges, leaking fuel tanks etc etc. I could go on for ever. OFT had a very good fleet a few years back but for some strange reason, probably money, they decided to downsize in both fleet size & quality. Only decent planes they had was a C172 & a couple of Warriors, which obviously are more expensive. You can get much more, for much less money elsewhere.

skybird
6th Feb 2004, 19:56
For a PPL it seems to be fine, anything beyond that, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. Instructors don't seem to spend any time on teaching ground school, don't seem to have to stick to a training regime (so things could be left out) or all achieve a standard, and very few people there training beyond PPL, so little social contact or peer support.

Having recently moved to a school further North and on the coast, would recommend researching properly - I didn't and was unhappy, had to mess around a lot changing school (new Visa, rent etc) but now have found somewhere I am happier.

Having said that, OFT might do it for you - as is said - close proximity of accommodation and eating places v good.

SWADLER747
7th Feb 2004, 01:33
You can get much more, for much less money elsewhere.

Zicker, can you suggest any other places for an IMC rating in the US?

pipergirl
7th Feb 2004, 07:36
i posted a reply to a similar topic a few weeks ago...have a quick search thru the forums and u'll get a good idea...

i went thru OFT for my PPL and I wasn't happy with the standard of tuition, value for money and general customer care....

The A/C were in an appalling state of disrepair.....I recall looking into one of the cessnas and looking at the avionics/instrument panel, and there was something missing and a false panel in its place and an image of the missing article tip-exed onto the false panel...(it was a couple of years ago and i had no experience of flying up until this point, so i can't remember what exactly it was).. i remember being appalled at the state of that particular a/c and that helped me change my mind and change my course to the Warrior.....

Basically-wouldn't bother...

I work for an airline and a lot of the pilots I work with went thru EFT and had loads of praise for them....Other guys went to a few different schools in California(apparently it's cheaper?)...I can ask around and throw some info ur way if u want?:)

SWADLER747
7th Feb 2004, 19:27
pipergirl, thanks for all the info...I think I will decide to look elsewhere, after the masses of negative comments ?

EFT ? - Stands for?, where are they located?

Any information you could throw this way would be great.

Cheers

trainer too 2
9th Feb 2004, 21:15
To be fair I haven't flown the Cessna's. I flew the warrior (5 at the time) which where brand new with GPS and the whole nine yards. :cool: