PDA

View Full Version : Flight deck Bottled Water?

Ms Spurtle
3rd Feb 2004, 19:35
Quick query..

Is the bottled water supplied to your flight deck by the caterers.. round bottles (that roll around on their side) or square cross sectioned ones (that don't)
??

Rider of the Purple Sage
3rd Feb 2004, 19:53
;) Square - ish ones, buuuuuuuuut, they still roll all over the place unless they're in a secure place. If they're in a secure place/cubbyhole/navbag, doesn't matter what shape they are.....;) the point of this question is........:confused:

Lemurian
3rd Feb 2004, 20:37
...What do you do with a round bottle you can't with a square one?...

expedite_climb
3rd Feb 2004, 21:30
Same as rider..... but why Ms Spurtle ??

Ms Spurtle
4th Feb 2004, 23:01
I'd heard that they had to be square so they "couldn't roll under the pedals"
Just wondered if this was a myth.

expedite_climb
5th Feb 2004, 00:12
aaaah, a myth methinks...

747FOCAL
5th Feb 2004, 00:33
What happens if the people placing the water on the flight deck is a terrorist and poisens both of you? In this day and age I would think you would buy your own water and snacks to bring aboard.

If the pilots aren't allowed to eat the same meal for fear of possibly food poisening both pilots why should you be drinking from the same well?:ooh:

expedite_climb
5th Feb 2004, 03:41
Theyd have to be very clever and posion a lot of people. I always check the seal is not broken on my water when I get it.

The other week it was and I enquired, one of the crew had opened it for me to make my life easier (his words) ?????

747FOCAL
5th Feb 2004, 03:58
expedite_climb,

I hate to rain on your parade, but your logic in checking the seal is easily defeated. Concert goers in the USA have long since figured out how to get those bottles open and closed again while maintaining the appearence that the safety seal is still intact so they can get booze into the show.

I have also seen someone use a hypodermic needle to remove the liquid and put another liquid back in and then seal the hole with super glue and only a microscope will find the hole.

:ooh:

Spearing Britney
5th Feb 2004, 04:24
747FOCAL can you show me how?

But seriously, we have a real problem on the Airbus with junk dissapearing behind the pedals, those water bottles make those pedals feel real funny and more than once have I seen one there! I was told by an eng that there is a guard now that can be fitted to stop debris falling deep in to the computers - recent diversion due spilt soda smoking on hot wires may make it worth it's cost!

TopBunk
5th Feb 2004, 23:45
Just a thought, but maybe it's beacuse when packing multiple squared bottles you lose less space and hence can get a greater volume thus saving on distribution costs.

I guess carbonated drinks are round in order to better contain the pressure.

RUDAS
7th Feb 2004, 20:17
this is definitely one of the most arbitary questions i've ever seen,but actually a square bottle could just as easily find its way behind the pedals,the solution is thus to install one of those little gravity/suction fed hamster water bottles-they could wall mount them and hey presto! no more sliding about but...oh no! what if some crazed sick terrorist from an anti-rodent splinter group decides to put something in the drinking water?

White Knight
8th Feb 2004, 22:47
Nothing about terrorism until a yank joins the thread - it's all getting SO BORING:zzz: :zzz:

jafo33
9th Feb 2004, 07:12
The water bottle question comes up quite frequently with light aircraft as they can jam under the rudder pedals.

Check out GASIL or whatever the CAA call it these days, it usually has a report on a light aircraft having control difficulties due to jammed bottles.

Always a hazard in the summer in 150's/152's as they get incredibly hot, have poor vents and usually nowhere left to wedge a bottle safely.

However, I did hear rumours about some UK airlines banning bottles from the flight deck. Monarch or Air 2 perhaps, but just guessing. Anyone?

747FOCAL
10th Feb 2004, 00:08
White Knight,

We will see how you are after somebody flies that 727 that was stolen into Buckingham Palace. Frankly I could give a toss about terrorism. I just was bringing up something to debate about the water bottles that maybe some pilots may not be thinking of.

I know how to open that hardened cockpit door with a tennis ball. How does that make you feel? :yuk: :uhoh:

Suffering Sucataash
11th Feb 2004, 00:59
FOCAL,

Is that a whole tennis ball or just a half?

Well the secrets out I guess.

cumulus
12th Feb 2004, 04:05
Just a quick idea vis a vis water bottles on light aircraft. Get a "Camelbak" water holder. It is a plastic pouch with a drinking tube, holds about 1.5 litres. All you have to do is tuck it down outboard side of seat and run tube through harness. Works for me.:ok:

No_Speed_Restriction
12th Feb 2004, 18:40
Does it make any difference? The second you rotate, the #$%# slides all the way back so you cant reach it until you are in the cruise. :* Secondly are we talking about Evian water or good old fashioned "Peckham" water (i.e. good ole tap water):yuk:

13th Feb 2004, 03:01
Are there some of you guys STILL using those pedal things! I had forgotten what they were for. Remember using them on DC3's a lot and then must have forgotten about them somewhere along the way later.

Smudger
13th Feb 2004, 03:21
7550, Those "pedal things" come in quite handy when landing in a crosswind or when (God forbid) you lose a donk...remember? Just joshing, don't get all upset!!!

747FOCAL
13th Feb 2004, 04:58
Suffering Sucataash,

Yes. As in all things, everything has an achiles heal.

:\