PDA

View Full Version : International schools HK

swamp150
2nd Feb 2004, 18:49
Hi Guys

Any information on expat international schools in HK would be highly apprechiated. Any recomendations etc Australian / UK style preferably.
Cheers
Swampy

NetJets007
3rd Feb 2004, 07:41
I went to the German Swiss International School K-6th form, half english speaking/half german speaking, with the english speaking half taking one class of german a day and vice versa. The English speaking half (lots of aussies and americans) don't associate too much with the german crowd (at least they didn't when I was there) though we used to beat them all the time in soccer. The school has a good curriculum and lots of extra curricular activities. I did have school M-S from 8:30 - 12:30 which interrupted mummys lunch, so get a driver or if you live in mid-levels no prob if your kids are old enough to cruise around HK by themselves. My sister went to the South Island School. All brits there. Fair enough curriculum, but my folks were certain that I received the better education. Hong Kong International School for the Americans. Went to visit it but found it full of bratty yanks. check out www.sis.edu.hk, or www.gsis.edu.hk, www.hkis.edu.hk, or type into google, international schools hong kong. Hope this helps.

idg
6th Feb 2004, 22:35
Swamp,
My kids have been to ESF schools for nearly all their school time and they have had a fantastic education. ESF is in turmoil at present because of CEO election problems and teachers working to rule due to salary cuts. I think these things will work out soon one way or another. Do a search for ESF Hong kong and you should find their site. They presently run about 6 secondary schools and 9 primary schools. They run (obviously) an English curriculum which is at present under review to change to International Baccalaureate instead of A and AS levels. My eldest has just sat the IB and has not had any difficulties whatsoever with Uni applications...in fact they seem to respect the qualification for it's breadth and depth.
Like all things in life you only get what you pay for and I suspect that fees at the ESF are going to go up. I do know that German Swiss fees are much higher presently than ESF (for example) but possibly the differential will get less soon.
There is also the Australian International School in Kowloon Tong which had a good reputation but I have not heard much talk of it recently now it has moved into larger newer premises. :ok:

BuzzBox
7th Feb 2004, 07:44
The Australian International School in Hong Kong follows the NSW curriculum, has a good reputation and great facilities. See their website: www.aishk.edu.hk

Snake Hips
11th Feb 2004, 14:10
I have no idea what age your children are, but just to add a little perspective. Tthere are many here (and noticeably more as time passes) that feel that HK does not offer the greatest education. I have no direct experience of the German Swisss School to be fair, but know ESF system very well and Australian International school reasonably well. Remember those ESF non competitive sports days?

It certainly doesn't work for many, but with the environmental issues in HKG and general lack of decent outdoor sporting facilitlies, many of us have elected the expensive and, for
some, the emotionally challenging boading school option.

Not too sure what the deal is re fee assistance for new expat entrants these days, but all my kids wanted out of the HK system
and now board. All are flourishing and (I believe) enjoy their Hong Kong visits all the more for not being here full time.

Very personal and an emotive topic but is IS an option providing
all are on side and the sums work.

stillalbatross
21st Feb 2004, 08:25
Another problem if you are CX is that the education allowance pays a part of the school fees and nothing more. Have started to look into the schools and talk with parents and found that there is less and less covered by the basic fees and more and more out of your own pocket. I know a few people putting about 8-10K aside a month to allow their children (two under 10) to do all the school trips, painting etc. that used to be included in the basic fees.