PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield University - BEng with pilot studies

Genghis the Engineer
1st Feb 2004, 16:55
My apologies if this has been covered before. However...

I've just come back from an interesting day visiting Sheffield University's Mechanical Engineering department, where a couple of aerospace degree courses are being run within that department (plus help from a few others) by a remarkable chap by the name of Professor Costas Soutis.

It appears that a new course is about to be run, which is "BEng Aerospace Engineering with Private Pilot Instruction", the intention being to graduate students with both an Engineering Council / RAeS approved aerospace engineering degree, and either a PPL, or at-least enough instruction that barring medical or competence problems, they could have got one. I've just taken a glance at the department's website here (http://www.shef.ac.uk/aerospace/), which doesn't mention it yet - but I promise I've seen the draft prospectus which is apparently at the printers as we speak. So, if anybody is doing their A-levels and struggling with the pilot .v engineer decision (or like me, finds both paths equally fascinating), might I suggest dropping the department a line and asking for a prospectus. Apparently the A-level requirements will be AAB or thereabouts, and places will be limited to about a dozen per year - so it's clearly not going to be an easy ride (what professional aerospace training is?).

Incidentally, I should probably come clean and admit that I've been asked to consider doing some part time lecturing on the course - but please don't let that put you off :cool:

You heard it on Pprune first!

G

Spinningtop
2nd Feb 2004, 04:00
There is a similar course being run by Leeds Uni, this course is titled "Aviation Technology with Pilots Studies", take a look at their website and tell us what you think.

It has run for a year now and seems to be a hit.

Website Here (http://www.leeds.ac.uk/speme/aviation)

Cheers.

Genghis the Engineer
2nd Feb 2004, 15:04
Looks interesting and worthwhile, and I know from personal experience (had a girlfriend for a while who was a postgrad there, and a neighbour's daughter also graduated from there last year) that Leeds is a good place to do a degree, at many levels.

The only caution I'd offer is that whilst Sheffield's is an engineering degree Leeds is offering you a Science Degree. The difference being that an accredited engineering degree offers you the ability to become an Incorporated or Chartered Engineer, whilst the Science degree won't. Scanning the Leeds course content, virtually none of the Engineering Council's core subjects are there.

Having said that, as a foundation for virtually any aerospace career, except Engineering (or to be fair, most types of technical research such as structures or aerodynamics) the Leeds course looks excellent. Also to be fair to Leeds, they make no claim that it's an Engineering degree or makes you able to qualify as an Engineer.

G

LFS
2nd Feb 2004, 16:28
The Leeds course is intended to be an alternative to aerospace engineering. It was partly after my experience of doing an aerospace degree a couple of years ago at Manachester we i did not enjoy as I had no interest in beoming an engineer. It is geared much more towards the content of the ATPL subjects and the management, CRM, economics in aviation. From what I understand the Sheffield course is intended to offer budding aerospace engineers some practical insight into flying.

Jinkster
24th Jul 2004, 15:37
Genghis,

If the lectures are intersting :p and available to the public or ppruners.

Let us know - live in sheff so might pop along just to say 'hello'.

Jinkster :ok:

Genghis the Engineer
24th Jul 2004, 15:51
Well, since I will be giving some of them as a visiting lecturer, I'm not going to tell you they'll be boring.

As to whether you are able to attend, I've no idea at-all. best bet is to give the department a ring and ask.

G

Jinkster
24th Jul 2004, 15:57
hahaha genghis.

thanks,

jinkster