PDA

View Full Version : UK travel

longstay
31st Jan 2004, 15:20
In the past few years i have driven across europe at 90 mph all day long, i get back to the uk and stuck in a traffic jam within 5 minutes, endless cones with no workers ! speed camera's speed camera's and more speed camera's.

I have travelled through the channel tunnel on a train that cruises across france at 186 mph but that within 2 miles of entering the uk bit ground to a halt for 40 minutes because it was a shift change and there were no workers !

I have just returned from U.S were they are having real weather and sat on a taxiway for 1hr 20 mins at heathrow because of a bit of snow ! - a further wait of 40 mins while they found the steps.

Is this going somewhere ? mmmmmm !

yesterday on 5 live i heard a labour politician in west midlands ranting on about how it was racist that we arn't teaching children about foreign history in the national curriculum
i.e the history of mathamatics in india !!! :mad: and how a school in north manchester is trying to change it's name to the local public house !! (white bear)

Manchester airport on the news again last night, how great it is that they have a new rail terminal !
How great it isn't that you can't see the stand docking system (read blackboard with a stip light on it) when you park !

this govenment have their priorities all wrong and It's about time this country got its act together and stopped farting about.:mad: :mad:

kishna
31st Jan 2004, 16:25
I get the distinct impression, Longstay, that you're not happy! You forgot to mention the man who pulls an enormous wedge out of you pay packet each month. Or the council who take a **** load of cash each month to light the streets and clean your bins. Or the man who receives about 50 pence per litre of the petrol that you put in your automobile. The list is endless.

There are countries far worse off than ourselves, just lighten up and look on the brightside of life (cue for a song maybe)! :ok:

k

The Trappist
31st Jan 2004, 17:24
Quote:
"Blair's Britain has become a pisspot of mediocrity"
Unexpected perspicasity from John Lydon...!
(For those of you don't remember - ex Sex Pistols)
Daily Mail, Friday, Jan 30, 2004

soddim
31st Jan 2004, 20:23
Maybe I am feeling my age but I too feel incredibly frustrated at how this once great UK of ours has become a third rate country. Thankfully we still have lots of first rate people living and working in UK but why do they put up with the mediocrity of expensive public services?

I often think too many of us suffer in silence and give too little thought and attention to the need to tell people in public life exactly what we think. Too many people no longer vote or play any part in trying to improve services and too many of us accept shoddy work. How many times in a restaurant do you overhear people criticising the food or the service and then, when asked by the staff if everything is OK, they say "Yes, thankyou."

I used to enjoy travelling but now it is so boring to drive to the airport through interminable delays only to spend almost as long at the airport as it used to take to do the whole journey. Our speed cameras have merely served to slow everybody down - we need to speed up again in all respects.

Boss Raptor
2nd Feb 2004, 02:58
'Tis sad but true...go south my son...Spain is so much easier on the stress, wallet and central heating bills :ok:

Never ever dreamed I'd say that...always said I'd never leave my home country :sad:

chiglet
2nd Feb 2004, 03:33
kishna
Yup, look on the bright side. Teflon Tony [and cronies] only taking 25% at the mo. Due to rise tho':{ :{
watpiktch

fireflybob
3rd Feb 2004, 07:30
There is a distinct lack of leadership. The majority of Parliament are from the legal profession and very few of them have any experience of business.

Having said that I just wonder who is really running the country at the moment (if anyone!). What we need now is a "common sense" party - our government is NOT representing the views of the electorate mainly because we do not have an effective opposition. I fear that things will only get worse before they get better.

The media is also responsible for constantly dumbing us down and encouraging us to accept levels of mediocrity and concentrating on what various popstars or footballers are up to etc instead of the REAL issues of the day.

Three areas that need tough and agressive action - Transport, Education and Crime (not necessarily in that order!). I recently had my car stolen and written off. The police say that in the unlikely event of finding the culprits it is highly likely they have a file with circa 30 previous convictions on file but the only trouble is they have never been locked up for a while but end up doing "community service". It is this type of situation which has created a feeling of apathy amongst the electorate who feel that the law is there to protect the criminal rather than the victim.

The UK transport system apart from some notable exceptions is a shambles and successive governments have done b****r all about it. Shame on them!

driftdown
3rd Feb 2004, 13:40
I am with Boss Raptor on this one. When Bahrain has finished with me or I have finished with Bahrain then I shall be heading to Spain.

A much nicer way to live.

Cameronian
3rd Feb 2004, 15:14
Boss Raptor and driftdown - Ssssshhhhh!! (they'll ALL hear!)

Shamrogue
3rd Feb 2004, 16:01
Deja Vu!...........one giant step backwards for mankind

If I'm not mistakin, an arguement similar to this turned up around the retirement of Concorde. In recent years the UK has slipped into the quieter league of nations! If you simply look at the last 100 years.........Whittle, the Comet...(maybe)......a first all the same though, Concorde, Heathrow was No 1, a car industry of it's own.........this was all brought around through progressive governments and real leaders such as Churchill. Entrepreneurship was alive and well........or at least in the aviation industry anyways! Now entrepreneurship is in vacuum cleaners and tumble dryers!
Brazil has shown that you don't need a real aviation heritage to establish yourself in the aviation business. Surely BAe are now generating enough profits from Wing building to look at building commercial aircraft again.

Sincerely,

Shamrogue

Bumz_Rush
3rd Feb 2004, 19:51
I regret that most of us who have no ties to the UK, have already moved, and those who have ties are seriously looking. Been in southern spain for several years, great life style, great weather, and great friends, English and Spanish. Bumz.

Cleaver
11th Feb 2004, 17:18
"Blair's Britain has become a pisspot of mediocrity"

John Lydon.

Daily Mail, Friday, Jan 30, 2004

Well said.

It has.

breakscrew
11th Feb 2004, 17:49
I came across this the other day, and it does have more than a grain of truth....

Be very proud to be British Because:

Only in Britain... can a pizza get to your house faster than an ambulance.

Only in Britain... do supermarkets make sick people walk all the way to the back of the shop to get their prescriptions while healthy
people can buy cigarettes at the front.

Only in Britain... do people order double cheeseburgers, large fries, and a DIET coke. (Not strictly true I’m sure this happens in the US as well!)

Only in Britain... do banks leave both doors open and chain the pens to the counters.

Only in Britain... do we leave cars worth thousands of pounds on the drive and lock our junk and cheap lawn mower in the garage.

Only in Britain... do we use answering machines to screen calls and then have call waiting so we won't miss a call from someone we didn't want to talk to in the first place.

Only in Britain... are there disabled parking places in front of a skating rink.

NOT TO MENTION...

3 Brits die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.

142 Brits were injured in 1999 by not removing all pins from new shirts.

58 Brits are injured each year by using sharp knives instead of screwdrivers.

31 Brits have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the fairy lights were plugged in.

19 Brits have died in the last 3 years believing that Christmas decorations were chocolate.

British Hospitals reported 4 broken arms last year after cracker pulling accidents.

101 people since 1999 have had broken parts of plastic toys pulled out of the soles of their feet.

18 Brits had serious burns in 2000 trying on a new jumper with a lit cigarette in their mouth.

A massive 543 Brits were admitted to A&E in the last two years after opening bottles of beer with their teeth.

5 Brits were injured last year in accidents involving out of control Scalextric cars.

And finally.........

In 2000 eight Brits cracked their skull whilst throwing up into the toilet............................RULE BRITANNIA!!

;)

spud
12th Feb 2004, 00:25
Only in Britain can the leader of a political party sell it's principles, put on it's opponents' clothes, take the credit for everything they inherited that has gone well yet blame their predecessors for everything that they subsequently cocked up and get elected - TWICE!!

uk1
13th Feb 2004, 15:23
.............I was pretty depressed before - but now I'm really hacked off..........