PDA

View Full Version : Air Portugal A321 X-Wind landing

flyerstar
30th Jan 2004, 22:14
Dont know if this was ever brought up before but sure looks like either the weather conditions were very bad or else something went wrong. ANy opinions out there. BTW this happend 27 Dec 2002 Airbus A321 Air Portugal at Lisboa Airport (Portugal) on rwy 21.

Any comments?

Heres the link: right click on it and choose save as

http://users.onvol.net/115951/A321CrosswindLanding.asx

:confused:

mattpilot
30th Jan 2004, 22:21
looks like a drunk pilot :suspect: :}

Young Paul
30th Jan 2004, 22:25
Might do to you. Looks like a pilot earning his living to me.

av8boy
30th Jan 2004, 22:41
Looks like a pilot earning his living to me
Agreed.

Dave

Parapunter
30th Jan 2004, 22:48
Looks like a model to me... Remember the Dutch Heineken advert that was allegedly filmed at AMS???

If it's not a model, then hat's off, but I'm glad I wasn't on it...

flyerstar
30th Jan 2004, 22:51
No no its not a model. That one of the heineken was. This is real life, just after a front had moved in....

mattpilot
30th Jan 2004, 23:13
sorry 'bout my attempt at a joke :(

Didn't mean to offend anyone - i thought it was obvious the pilots did a good job at flying the plane.

Sensible
30th Jan 2004, 23:15
Oh come on guys it's a joke! You can't fly a bug smasher with a xwind blowing it 90deg to the runway let alone a jet. Anyway, if you look closely you can see the piece of string suspending the airplane!:D

flyerstar
30th Jan 2004, 23:40
yes and if you put up the volume on your pc you will hear your mothers vacuum cleaner....of course its not a joke.

I thought some of you might have experienced something similair.....:D

Tristar Freak
30th Jan 2004, 23:49
Sensible, take a look at this 757 departing Aberdeen in a huge crosswind (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/215480/L/)

Sensible
31st Jan 2004, 00:11
That can't be for real either surely!

excrewingbod
31st Jan 2004, 02:14
I remember watching a 757 attempting to land at ABZ in April 2000 with a stonking crosswind, the A320 clip looks tame in comparison.

First and only time I've seen a 757 emulate a bucking bronco.

I'm sure there are a few drivers on here, who have experienced the turbulence on finals to 16, at ABZ, with a strong westerly wind.

Avman
31st Jan 2004, 02:27
This is old stuff guys and it was done to death here on PPRuNe last year. PPRuNe is fast becoming like the BBC............full of reruns :rolleyes: :zzz:

Freeway
31st Jan 2004, 03:31
Avman, agreed, this is seriously old hat.
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNN NNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!

MANTHRUST
31st Jan 2004, 03:35
He should have used config 3.
Problem solved.
Quick move this to the tech forum!

Hamrah
31st Jan 2004, 03:37
................hence it's move to this forum.

Hardly "News" anyway.

H

Norman Stanley Fletcher
31st Jan 2004, 07:41
First of all this is for real - it is used on various technical refreshers for Airbus pilots in the UK. Secondly there is a known problem with the A321 in full flap configuration where there is an unusually twitchy and undesirable response in roll to rudder inputs in gusty conditions. It is corrected by an ELAC modification known as 'L82' which a number of airlines are embodying at the moment. Airbus have acknowledged this undesirable handling characteristic compared with either the A319 or A320 in this particular configuration and recommend that in gusty x-wind conditons approaches are made in Config 3 (reduced flap).

It is hard to tell in this particular video clip what config was being used but the undesirable roll response shown would be entirely in keeping with a gusty crosswind in Config Full. The moral is simple - if you do not have ELAC L82 embodied in an A321, then in gusty conditions you should do exactly as Airbus says - use Config 3 and all will be well!

Squawk7777
31st Jan 2004, 08:57
btw I saved this clip on my computer, but I cannot locate it. Under what filename was this file saved? XP comes back with "file not found" when I search for "A321crosswindlanding.asx"

7 7 7 7

av8boy
31st Jan 2004, 13:44
Try just searching for:

*.asx

That'll show you all the files with the ".asx" extension on your computer. The "*" stands in for the file name.

As for those of you citing the "yawn" factor... Go back and watch the videos of an MD11 crashing in a typhoon, an F86 not coming out of loop, and/or a B52 being all but consumed by the earth, wingtip to wingtip. Then lighten up. Some of us who watched this bit of tape said, "holy crap!" Let us have our good clean fun. Nature threatened, pilots aviated, and, far as I know, everybody lived. A grand thing to watch as far as I'm concerned. Seems to me sometimes that we get a bit binary in our reactions... if somebody dies, we start to raise hell about speculating, etc. If nobody dies, then we underplay the whole thing. Can't we just enjoy it once in a while?

Perhaps I need to get a life, but that's my problem. I thought it was great.

Dave

fmgc
31st Jan 2004, 16:41
There is another video around of I think a TAP A319 into FNC that is even more dramatic than that.

Has anybody got that? I would mind a copy of it.

Dani
2nd Feb 2004, 00:35
Looking at that video I see 2 different problems:

1. Xwind
2. PIO (pilot induced oscilation)

Both problems are independant. Only the pilots (and ATC) know if xwind was within limits. If you are talking about ELAC software you are right. But in an Airbus you always have the problem in gusty conditions that you overreact, while flight control tries to correct with a time delay. So while the pilot already gave an input for the correct vector, flight control is starting correcting shortly after, which leads to another corrective maneuver of the pilot.

Long story short told: If you encounter PIO, try releasing side stick for a moment and let the aircraft stabilize.

Dr Illitout
2nd Feb 2004, 02:02
I think he did very well!!!. If I had been on board you would not have been able to hear the engines above my screaming!!!.
Love the buisness
love aircraft
HATE flying!!!. Am I alone in this?:O :O

javelin
2nd Feb 2004, 08:24
Sometime in '97 - arriving at LBA. Locked on to the localiser at 3,000', wind was 230/70 - runway was 32 ! I was looking straight down the runway out of the F/O's window !

Helen49
6th Feb 2004, 15:15
Fully understand you guys, but not all of us were here last year!

Smedley
11th Feb 2004, 03:16
***** holy! Eu quero saber o que o componente era?