PDA

View Full Version : spoilers and TOGA

simfly
29th Jan 2004, 21:43
Watched a BA bus approach Aberdeen last night, ended up floating just a foot or two quite a way down the runway (weather probably had a part to play!) before hitting the gas and dissapearing for somewhere else. I was very impressed at how quick the aircraft was in a steep climb away. Don't think they actually touched down but made me think about something..... If the spoilers are set to automatically deploy upon the main gear touching down, if a go-around has been initiated and the wheels do touch down does TOGA selection then cancel out the spoilers, or does one of the crew manually deselect them?
Respect to the crew operating that aircraft last night, but dissapointed they didn't return for another bash!

Intruder
30th Jan 2004, 06:19
In general, throttles must be at idle as well for spoilers to deploy automatically. TOGA would take them off the idle stops, so no spoilers.

Carnage Matey!
30th Jan 2004, 06:43
Selecting TOGA automatically stows the spoilers/speedbrakes on the Airbus at any stage of flight. The lever doesn't actually move out of the armed position on landing so the aircraft will fly away with spoilers armed and the crew will disarm them during the After Take Off checks.

Busdrvr
2nd Feb 2004, 00:29
Selecting TOGA does not stow the spoilers on the 319/320, while in flight. It does give you an ECAM message reminding you to stow them. However, as to the go-around question, because the spoilers deploy automaticly on touch down, the logic requiers the thrust at idle and a main wheel speed of 70kts. or weight on wheels > 3secs.

Carnage Matey!
2nd Feb 2004, 01:57
You must be flying a different mod of the bus to me then busdrvr. My manual says speedbrake extension is inhibited if thrust levers are above the MCT position and the speedbrakes will auto retract if an inhibition occurs whilst they are extended. It works that way in our simulators too.

Busdrvr
2nd Feb 2004, 03:37
There are several CPIP's (models) for the airbus family. We fly 3 diffrent CPIP's. But when we train for GPWS procreedures our flow is go TOGA, then hand to the speedbrake handle to ensure retraction.