PDA

View Full Version : JAA ATPL Study via CD-ROM

df1
27th Jan 2004, 05:29
Hi all,

Just fishing for some advice on JAA ATPL distance learning with CD-ROM supplements. I posted a week or so ago regarding distance learning and the various schools, but I am a little confused as to who offers their course in computer format.

I must explain that as I appreciate the need for hard copies in text book form, it would be most convenient for me to have a computer based reference for study (travelling around).

Has anybody got any views or recommendations on this?

Thanks in advance.

df1

Frank Furillo
27th Jan 2004, 15:33
Hi DF1
Try Bristol Groundschool (www.bristol.gs), they have both Hard copy and CD Rom as a package, I'm using it, they will also let you put the CD Rom onto your lap top as well as your main computer.

FlyingForFun
27th Jan 2004, 16:08
Another call for BGS.

However, surely the best way of finding out is to speak to each of the schools individually? There aren't that many of them, they should be able to show you samples of both their printed and their computer-based notes (and if they can't, that in itself should tell you something about the school), and, probably most important in a fast-changing industry like ours, the information will be up to date (it's been a year since I finished at Bristol now, so I'm sure that they and other schools have updated their notes since then).

FFF
-------------

oxford blue
27th Jan 2004, 18:12
I work for Oxford, but I am not using this thread to advertise, merely to answer df1's question with factual information.

Oxford do not produce the whole course in CD-ROM format. They do, however, produce a CD-ROM for the CRP-5 and also, in conjunction with the Met Office, one which covers the JAA ATPL Met syllabus. They also produce VFR and IFR Comms CDs.

They have produced, in conjuction with Transair, a CD-ROM series for PPL. It covers the PPL syllabus at a good level of depth, including much, but not all, of the ATPL syllabus. All of these discs have been written by the OAT ground instructors.

None of the above is a stand-alone ATPL course; there is no substitute for book-learning. But you may find them a helpful supplement.

I offer no comment on the quality of the material; as I said, I'm not trying advertise. But other ppruners may wish to give you their views.

silverknapper
27th Jan 2004, 18:20
Another vote for Bristol. You get the entire course on cd, including the progress tests which can be emailed. There are also very interesting programs on GPWS, TCAS and Gyros to name but a few. Also a really good CRP5 tutorial which I really found invaluable.

Martin1234
28th Jan 2004, 06:42
I'm currently studying meteorology by distance learning, mainly using the JAA ATPL Met CD produced by OAT/Met office. I don't know yet if it will get me through the exam but so far I think that it's top notch. It really covers the most important matters of meteorology in regards to aviation and it explains things so even I seem to understand it.

The only drawback is that I need to click "next" all of the time and that I don't know the approximate time of each lesson. I would also appreciate if it could follow the JAA standard syllabus.

What is the Bristol CD like compared to the one produced by OAT/Met office? Can you take full advantage of the Bristol CD if you buy it second hand or do you need to attend the course in order to mark the questions?

df1
29th Jan 2004, 02:58
Thanks indeed for these replies, it's much appreciated!

Martin poses an interesting question!

silverknapper
29th Jan 2004, 06:22
You can't buy Bristol second hand - it has authorisation software which ensures that. It has the whole course as opposed to just the met. The oxford cd is a lot more detailed for that one subject - but then bristol does contain the entire JAA manuals. Not sure how much it is stand alone, ask Noush atBristol ([email protected]). You could use it purely for the notes.

Northern Highflyer
29th Jan 2004, 18:26
Another Bristol vote here.

The material is excellent quality and easy to follow. The computer demos are brilliant and any queries are promptly answered, whether by telephone or email. If I had one suggestion it would be to put all the course work into a "demo" version. To watch the animation and hear it explained is far easier than hours of reading IMHO.

According to Bristol's website the software is available on it's own for £500.

Ropey Pilot
5th Feb 2004, 02:07
Another Satisfied Bristol stude! :O

Unusually I used only the CD - without books (I was with another school who went under about a week after I bought all their stuff. The nice man at the CAA said that since I already owned an approved study course - a requirement - I didn't have to buy another stack of books, so I went to Bristol and used their CD).

Can get a bit irritating (physically) if you like hardcopy rather than staring at a monitor for long hours, but a laptop takes up considerably less space than 14 Ring Binders!.;)

mach252
5th Feb 2004, 23:35
No need to repeat what the others have said...go for Bristol, it cuts out the waffle and its all on the Rom, perfect if you are on the move!

pa28biggles
6th Feb 2004, 00:41
I'm with Bristol, and although a real conclusion cant be made until I sit the exams, I can say that the whole package is excellent.:ok: