PDA

View Full Version : Training in more than one JAA country

Martin1234
24th Jan 2004, 03:23
I'm currently undertaking a JAR-approved theoretical ATPL course at a school registered under the Swedish CAA. I do however want to do the rest of my training in the UK.

The ideal situation would be that the UK CAA would accept the exams I hopefully pass at the Swedish CAA. An alternative would be to do the theoretical training in Sweden but writing the exams in the UK.

Does anyone have experience of a similar situation? There is an implementation in the JAR that allows a JAA state to accept another state's training but I guess this is sparesly used to protect its own market. There's also an alternative, applying for an exempt from undertaking formal training by a UK registered school in the same way as ATPL holders with X amount of hours.

Any help is appreciated. Worst case scenario is that I need to undertake a UK distance learning course in addition to the course I already undertake.

Speaking of writing exams, in Sweden the CAA representative is getting to the flight school instead of having X students travelling to the CAA. Also, you do get the exam results the same day. The UK CAA seems to have something to learn.

Send Clowns
24th Jan 2004, 05:39
I believe you may have to use your back-up plan, and do a distance-learning course. The CAA would have the definitive say on this, so try to contact them in the Safety Regulation Group. It does sound a ridiculous situation that should not exist under the JAA, but there you go.

A large part of the CAA marking problem is that a lot of the questions are being cancelled or queried in the UK, so time is taken to check, although perhaps too much. It does, however, mean that unfair questions are either removed before the exam is set or credited to all candidates.

The centralised system is a nuisance, but it does allow us to send one student to an exam (we often do for people who have studied here or elsewhere, failed the exam, then come here for private tuition), without having to pay for an invigilator to himself or herself. Overall it is probably the best compromise that can be implemented yet. The CAA has assured us at the groundschool that they are working on a system with many more centres and much more flexibility of date.

Best of luck!

deTrix75
24th Jan 2004, 17:33
Hi Martin1234,

Stick to your original plan, complete your exams with the Swedish CAA, then contact your UK CAA and tell them that you want to complete your studies according to JAR-FCL 1.065. They will know what you are talking about.

Regarding you idea to take the course with the Swedish school and take the exams with the UK CAA, you might find yourself figuring out for the CAA of the both countries the differences in emphases regarding the study material. You don't want that role. Your worst case scenario analysis might be something to look at if you run in to any trouble, but then again you will find out the differences between Swedish and UK study material. (Note: the emphases will be reflected in the questions of each countries question bank).

You say that the UK CAA has much to learn and you are probably right, but having dealt with the Icelandic CAA, I know that you are in good hands when in UK.

deTrix

Martin1234
25th Jan 2004, 07:32
I should clarify that you on the same day just get a temporary result and not the final, which could alter due to questions being removed etc. They do have testing centers as well.

deTrix75, I thought that all JAA countries were using the same question bank or do you mean that some countries use a higher percentage of questions from a certain area?

deTrix75
25th Jan 2004, 15:44
I really don't know the answer to that question, but I guess they could. Although the question bank is originally the same, the countries remove questions from it that they think are flawed. They are also known to "play" with the questions, that is changing the question a little, just so that if you know the question from the question bank your school gave you, you mark it wrong because of your over confidence.

It would be nice to get you results the same day, even if they are only temporary. I am still waiting for my January results - I estimate that I will get them in just over a week...

Martin1234
25th Jan 2004, 20:42
Thank you the both of you and good luck with your results deTrix75.

deTrix75
27th Jan 2004, 00:26
Thx Martin :ugh:

deTrix :)