PDA

View Full Version : LHR Singapore airlines problem

orangesky
21st Jan 2004, 21:43
hello

just a quickie, noticed sometime last week, what seemed to be a problem with a 744 takeoff. the aircraft was very low after rotation, when it started an almost immediate turn to the left (rwy09) much sooner than on SID. it remained low and rejoined the other aircraft on the 09 glideslope - i saw 2 others peel off to allow it in.

what was the problem ??? surely it must have been over its MLW and the problem must have been severe for it to not dump ?

thanks

B

mutt
21st Jan 2004, 22:55
surely it must have been over its MLW and the problem must have been severe for it to not dump ? Where is the nearest location to LHR where he would be allowed to dump fuel?
As for landing overweight, provided that they conduct an overweight landing check, its no big deal.

Mutt.

orangesky
21st Jan 2004, 23:31
... errrr right, thanks mutt - so you actually have no idea about the incident i enquired about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....provided that they conduct an overweight landing check, its no big deal......

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if thats the case, why bother having a jettison system, and a MLW ??? the south coast is less than 10 mins flying time from LHR for dumping .... thanks, but i wasnt asking for smart arse comments, only for the facts of what happened last week

expedite_climb
21st Jan 2004, 23:52
orangesky,

Bit harsh I think, I dont think mutt was being a smart arse.
It would take AT LEAST ten minutes to get to the channel, or similar dumping ground and the same to get back, plus time to dump fuel.

It is not a big issue to land overweight, altough it is not necesarrily desirable, hence why you the ability to dump fuel is an option.

If you are on fire, you may just want to get on the ground ASAP.

millerscourt
22nd Jan 2004, 00:47
Orangesky On the contrary if it landed back immediately without dumping fuel it was either on Fire which it was not OR there was a minor problem and if all engines and hydraulics are working normally etc etc then there is no need to dump fuel if runway conditions are suitable.

I once landed 50 tons over max landing weight purely cos of sick passenger on board and nothing wrong with the aircraft. No big deal really.

orangesky
22nd Jan 2004, 17:19
thanks millerscourt .

mutt
23rd Jan 2004, 01:00
millerscourt gets thanks and i get abuse!!!!!

Interesting world that we live in. :):)

Orangesky, i might have actually taken the time to explain why aircraft have fuel jettison systems or even the rules governing the MLW. However for someone just starting off in aviation you obviously know it all, so i dont think that i will waste my time... :)

Mutt.

av8boy
23rd Jan 2004, 01:35
Mutt, mutt, mutt...

It's an interesting world because somebody slashed two of my tires in my own driveway night before last, and because somebody else absconded with about six dollars worth of oak which had been destined for my fireplace while it was minding its own business in the back of my truck at work yesterday (I think that was a run-on sentence. Looks like one…). You know better than to think you were just abused! It was a good answer you gave and it didn’t deserve the reply it got. Don't go gett’n hateful on us. Me, on the other hand… I’ve got cause to be hateful. Don’t let me catch you in my yard after dark…

Your answer was appropriately defended by subsequent posters. You are vindicated. Please continue.

Dave
:D

orangesky
23rd Jan 2004, 20:36
i have never claimed to know everything (in aviation or otherwise) that is why i ask questions. i guess it all boils down to tone and subtlety.