PDA

View Full Version : What is your worst response from the marketing of a school.

FloridaG3pilot
20th Jan 2004, 23:45
A big thankyou to Bristol, OAT, Gnd Training Service, NAC, Atlantic flt training/Delta who all responded to my needs very quickly with great help... this one below takes the cake though...

moo
21st Jan 2004, 00:45
well i'm not particularly impressed with the response (or should I say non-response) from cabair. I've e-mailed them twice on two different e-mails and requested a brochure but have never received anything from them at all. doesn't inspire me to spend £50,025 there.
Similarly, the bad use of english on AIRMED's website does little to make me wanna spend it there!!

skyman68
21st Jan 2004, 04:09
english is not a reason to turn down a school.
but for employment, if you speak only english, some companies will turn you down, see?or they will turn you down if you do not speak spanish. what you say makes no sens!

moo
21st Jan 2004, 07:39
With all due respect skyman, the international language of aviation is English - albeit with some operators (air france, ahem) deciding to speak their mother tongue within their own airspace.

Although you may not think so, the ability of a professional training school to have their website (these days, the primary marketing means after word of mouth) online using bad grammar/spelling really does discourage me from considering their school as somewhere to spend a very substantial amount of money.

Also, if I have that thought just through perusing their website, what thoughts go through the minds of the airlines in an interview situation if they have happened to view the website....

Perhaps that's just me then..........

silverknapper
21st Jan 2004, 17:51
I always find the no response good too. Had a few days off and sent mail to the school at palma airport that were advertising here a while back about hiring a pa28 for 20 - 30 hrs. Booked flight too. Needless to say got no reply. Never mind got a few days in magaluf though

Cardinal Puff
22nd Jan 2004, 00:35
The fact is you're paying to be trained in English and if the school's employees (instructors) are unable to converse with you in that medium how are they going to get the lesson across? It also shows lack of attention to detail......

skyman68
22nd Jan 2004, 06:01
the international language in aviation (ICAO languages) are french, english, chinese, arab, and russe.

nobody says you have to know English, sorry!I know, looks strange, but it is true.

VFE
22nd Jan 2004, 06:20
Skyman68,

Sorry to be a pedantic bugga but you're refering to the languages used purely for liason between the ICAO states. Any country can forward documentation in any of those ICAO languages.

When it comes to actual international flying then English is a must under JAR countries. I know not all countries abide by this "in the field" (check out recent debates on the usage of French by Paris ATC) but to enroll on a JAR approved course you must demonstrate sufficiant English speaking ability.

Now, if the FTO you contact is having difficulty in this respect I would take note. A certain non-English FTO was once known for conducting classes in their native tongue whilst advertising to the contrary and a few English customers got stung.

VFE.

moo
22nd Jan 2004, 06:20
errr, don't really understand your post there skyman.

Quote:

"nobody says you have to know English, sorry!"

Whatever the small print may say skyman (as i'm sure it does), somewhere deep down in the ICAO manuals, do you seriously think that as a pilot, you will be able to conduct a 5000 mile flight across lord knows how many countries..............in arab??!!!

didn't think so.

:ok:

scroggs
22nd Jan 2004, 12:34
I think you'll find that all signatories to ICAO must provide ATC services to all international flights over their territory in the English language. It is also required that all pilots who intend to operate outside their national boundaries be competent in aviation English.

Many countries use their own language when speaking to domestic airlines and pilots. This is quite legal, though it is a negative contribution to flight safety when it involves IFR traffic in the upper FIR!

It is entirely reasonable to expect a flight school offering instruction in an English-speaking country to have correct English on their promotional and instructional material, including their website. I would think twice about spending large sums of money on any service or product offered by an organisation with such poor attention to detail.

Scroggs