PDA

View Full Version : advise on next step in training !

Topgun 4122T
20th Jan 2004, 01:41
hi guys,

I am a ppl holder and half way through the atpl exams . I hope to finish the exams before the summer was just looking for advise on what you think my next best step would be . personally i think that doing my instructor rating before the cpl is a better option , what do you think or advise ? delboy ..

GrantT
20th Jan 2004, 01:57
The "wannabes" forum is more suited for a question like this.

Don't post again in wannabes forum, the mods will move this thread for you.

Harves
20th Jan 2004, 08:04
Hi Derek,

Why do you think the Instructor rating is the best first option for you? Surely the CPL will give you valuable experience in a more acurate and vigorous environment.

The other point being how do you expect to be a fee earning instructor without the CPL....unless things have changed, earning anything more than a fuel contribution is a no no with a PPL.

Point is Derek, it has to be CPL first then FI or IR, whatever your desire....PS IR can be done before CPL without wishing to patronise, if you fancied that.

Good luck anyway

FlyingForFun
20th Jan 2004, 16:24
I agree with Harves.

If instructing is what you want to do, then do your CPL, then FI. If instructing isn't necessarilly what you want to do, then do your CPL, then IR - or, alternatively, your IR, then your CPL.

Remember that the minimum entry requirements for an FI course are higher if you don't have a CPL (150hrs P1 instead of 100). And that although, in theory, you can work as an unpaid FI without a CPL, in practice you won't find many people willing to offer you a job, and you won't be able to work for yourself because your FI rating will be restricted initially. So there's unlikely to be any benefit from doing it first.

FFF
--------------

FMIRC
21st Jan 2004, 19:18
Some good advice from the previous reponses. My advice is choose a school where you can do both the CPL and FI course, remember continuity is everything. You'll also get an early return albeit a small one from your investment by doing the CPL + FI. Based on trainining several pilots I would advise against doing the IR first. Its like going from the bottom to the top of the ladder in one go! Very difficult and the pass rate is not great.

Topgun 4122T
22nd Jan 2004, 05:01
Hi guys , i appritate the reply . The reason i would consider doing the instructor rating before the cpl is because the the school where i do my flight training has offered me a position as an instructor as soon as i get the rating . i realise i cant get paid but i will be getting free hours and homing my skills to be completely ready for the cpl .. Is anybody getting jobs these days with 250 hours ? delboy ..