PDA

View Full Version : Why should I join?

cpdude
19th Jan 2004, 21:55
Received a letter the other day asking me to consider re-joining the AOA. I was informed of a standing policy that would require me to pay back dues of over 10K USD to re-join. Why would I or any other potential member ever subject themselves to pay such a fee? What is really ironic is the back pay owed is more than twice the time period I was in the union to begin with prior to resigning.

If the AOA was serious about pulling members in, I think they would have thought about their ridiculous policy and amended it prior to putting pen to paper.

Politics, now they can honestly say they invited people back....NOT! :yuk:

FlexibleResponse
19th Jan 2004, 23:26
Are you saying that you would like to re-join the AOA, but are not keen to pay the full amount of your back dues?

What percentage do you think would be reasonable?

Perhaps they may entertain an offer from you or otherwise provide some sort of a discount.

As they say in the Classics, "Membership has its privileges" (and its price). Only you can put a value on that when considering your personal circumstances. Good luck with making the right decision.

Wizofoz
20th Jan 2004, 00:49
Flex,

I take it that while not a financial member, cpdude and others were not entitled to representation by the HKAOA. Strange then that the union should ask for payment for a time when they offered no service. No association I have ever been a part of has had such a policy.

If the AOA is hard up for members, perhaps it should have thought a little harder about insituting it's ridiculous employment ban, thus creating a large group to whom it has (up till now) denied membership.

fr8ter boi
20th Jan 2004, 04:38
So are any of the people who joined during the ban being asked for back dues? Perhaps they can have a reduction on those nights they received silent phone calls!

The AOA is a lame and toothless tiger and will always remain so, especially when it comes out with such daft edicts.

cpdude
20th Jan 2004, 12:50
I did not join during the ban and I have never heard of any ban joiner being offered to join the AOA.

FR,

I don't think I should have to pay any back dues. I had differences with the policy and elected executive at the time and decided to resign rather than stay and hypocritically be included with actions I did not agree with. Others stopped paying and were thrown out but I resigned and paid all dues owing at the time.

The question is does the AOA members truly believe in strength in numbers or would they like to remain a small exclusive club?

Lastly, yes I am seriously considering re-joining as I support the more moderate tone of the current executive but also yes I would resign again if the radical nature of the past returned.
;)

B787
23rd Jan 2004, 10:05
cpdude,

If you were allowed to rejoin the AOA, would you resign again the next time your were asked to reach into your pocket to support your fellow members?

We voted for that course of action ( well the majority did, majority rules) knowing only to well what the possible outcome could be. We therefore have a duty to continue to be a member even when the going gets tough.

Why should I have to continue paying my dues if you are allowed to rejoin any get away with out paying, now that things are more to your liking.

cpdude
24th Jan 2004, 01:41
I guess your right! I'll remain a Non-Member then.

Felix Lighter
24th Jan 2004, 06:04
And sadly cpdude many more in your posn will choose to not rejoin.

It may be harder to get the % up than the AOA thinks....... the letters have hardly caused a stampede to the door.

All a shame really, as I think we all agree that the current GC is proactive and engaging - def a step in the right direction - and that a solid AOA (maximum membership) is beneficial to all.

Whilst I agree with you that you have the inate right to vote with your feet whenever you feel like it (without being 're-educated' by the lads) I also think that you do have an obligation to stand up and be counted (and be counted upon) by you fellow members when the chips are down.

There is no correct answer to your argument or the arguments of FR/B787...........ultimately its a conscience vote and you must do what you believe is morally correct at the time.

Rather than carte-blanche letters it would be well worth the GC having a meeting with non-members, explaining their way forward and negotiating the requirements of rejoining............or joining at all. (The majority of post ban joiners have not joined the AOA)

All the chips arent held by the AOA...... The AOA needs you as much as you need a strong AOA.

Surely then there is room to negotiate a suitable deal of mutual benefit?

Happy Year of the Monkey. FL