PDA

View Full Version : Changes to Housing Allowance?

Colonel W E Kurtz
18th Jan 2004, 19:58
Anyone know anything about plans for reduction in housing allowance? Something like a reduction from 27k to 17k for S/O's and also a drop for F/O's?:{
How about the introduction of an allowance for ex-cadet's?:D

6feetunder
19th Jan 2004, 06:06
Not in the Union Col? If you were you would be up speed...

fire wall
19th Jan 2004, 08:09
The guy asked a question and all he got in return was a smart arsed response.
6 ft it is because of juvenille attitudes such as you display that the AOA is no longer the driving force that it once was and should still be, in part because professional airmen have no desire to join a kids club.
The AOA is now on a path to find common ground with the company and Captain Gardner has written to many non members inviting them to rejoin. Your comment is not consistent with the current direction and can only be seen as unhelpful. Perhaps you should reconsider whether the AOA still represents your childish interests.......otherwise shut up and grow up.

jtr
19th Jan 2004, 08:28
and at the risk of answering the question...

Yes, changes are afoot, and they are only going one direction. All ranks will be affected in varying degrees. The RFZ which is what the majority of people are on, is going to drop about 15% (if it is agreed to)
After all how are we ever going to attain $1.2/atk?

Felix Lighter
19th Jan 2004, 10:14
Im quite impressed that it has taken the best part of 2 months for this to get to PPRUNE!

But like the aforementioned post this is not an AOA-only issue. Besides the fact that NR has emailed everyone about it so has the Pres.

MG's newsletter was fowarded to non-AOA members alike - so the abv comment is as naive as it is irresponsible and chirlish.

Will be interesting to see how the chips fall on this issue. There are many trying to buy (the only winner may be the developer at Tung Chung)..........no matter what the AOA vote, the company will no doubt institute these changes anyway.

The comedy is that the Dragonair package will now be worth more than the CX one!!

fr8ter boi
20th Jan 2004, 04:31
Why should that be comical? Dragonair's the better company! :eek:

Australia2
25th Jan 2004, 11:28
Felix,

I too am curious as to the comedy component of the situation. After all, do the rents not cost the same up there, irrespective of your chosen employer ?

OZ2

Felix Lighter
25th Jan 2004, 11:43
Are you pilots.........irony, sarcasm and cynism are our raison d'etre. ;)

I was being ironic - that CX see themselves as the premier company with the best COS.

Now - that is simply not the case, is it?

Its not comedy at all..................its irony, get it?

Australia2
25th Jan 2004, 22:35
Loud and clear Felix, loud and clear.

Would greatly appreciate any info on buying up there. While I realise this is an incredibly broad question I would appreciate a basic overview of peoples experiences over the last 3 years or so. With the housing scheme in place it is hard to see (at least from down here )how it can not work in your best interests over time.

Thanks

O2

6feetunder
29th Jan 2004, 01:18
The driving force it once was or should be.... hmmm.

The non-members getting a free ride on the backs of dues paying members that have dug deep and stood by their colleagues these last couple of years is far more childish than anyting I can say.

So you shut up... nya nya.

BlueEagle
29th Jan 2004, 10:59
cpdude made a personal attack on another poster and I am pleased to see that he has now removed it.

Just a reminder, every so often someone forgets the rules of PPRuNe and launches a personal attack, this is not on.

Argue the subject until you are blue in the face but any personal attacks will be edited out.

Please be guided accordingly,

Thanks,

BlueEagle - Moderator.

stillalbatross
14th Feb 2004, 05:32
australia2 I will attempt to answer your question with the problems I am encountering while looking to buy.

1) Cost of initial deposit and expenses approx 20% of purch price
2) On new homes some deals about with reduced initial expense but price is jacked up to compensate increasing the loan term
3) What you need to live in happily (family etc) and what you can afford can be quite different
4) Max 40 years for age of house + term of mortgage so if you buy a 25 yr old house on a 15 yr mortgage you will need a cash buyer when you come to sell it as most banks won't currently mortgage against it (is this sustainable?)
5) huge fluctuations in prices over the past 6 years (60%) difference brings with it the risk of negative equity
6) Horrendous build quality (hence the 40 yr rule). Worst instance is cancer causing carcogens (sp) in the plumbing due to dodgy materials so you are looking at a possible replumb and rewire on anything over 10 years old
7) Apparent changes to tax in that allowance will be fully taxable if used for rental (Approx 6K month increase in tax) that should make buying more attractive
8) If you can live with all this, i.e. accept the risks and be happy in what you are in then buying (especially with new tax on rental) looks good. Bear in mind that the mortgage payments will most likely way outstrip any rental returns so you can't rent it out instead and move into something bigger if you grow out of it early.
9) Family has to be happy
10) Family has to be happy
11) Family....

IMHO

hughorgen
14th Feb 2004, 10:17
:mad: Cathay !!!

Impoverishing their professionals is the way to control the masses !!

Intelligent thinking to reduce the housing allowances as the market costs have risen 20% in the last 2 weeks as the lemmings of HKG rush towards another 1997 housing fiasco !!!

After all, pilots are just 'overpaid bus drivers' as has been heard in the sanctified halls at CX City !:}

Can somebody with a brain tell me why one can be suitable to ...
* operate a $100 million dollar piece of machinery
* be responsible for 100ds of pax and company employees
* carry the success and future of the company on their shoulders

BUT...........

Not be permitted to have adult conversations with the management........ smells of the Tung factor ie. HKG people are not mature enough for democracy.........

Asia's world city ????? I think not ...........
:uhoh: