PDA

View Full Version : Synchronised take off LHR last night

BRISTOLRE
14th Jan 2004, 16:57
Noticed something very unusual last night at LHR around 2320z.
Two aircraft departed LHR seconds apart time one from 27R and the other from 27L. Both appeared to be BA aircraft one a EPM departure the other heading towards SAM.
They did seem to be turning in unison which led to an Interesting but unusual sight.
The clear night sky made the event even more spectacular.
Anyone else see it or know what was going on there?

Globaliser
14th Jan 2004, 18:08
It was to show off Concorde's beautiful lines and effortless superiority to everyone who was watching.

Oh sorry, that must have been last year I was thinking about. :{

Jerricho
14th Jan 2004, 19:09
Firstly...what the hell were you doing watching deps at 11:20 pm? Unless you was indulging in beer, that's way past bed time ;).

Seriously though, what you probably saw was a go around vs a departure. I take it we were landing 27L?

BRISTOLRE
14th Jan 2004, 19:46
Hey Jerricho
was coming back from Beers actually on the way back to the ramp! Not my bedtime buddy, just starting.
Yes 27L was ldg rway last night but no arrivals usually at this time and go around tracks/procedures do not take usually take aircraft on the tracking that this a/c followed. I am sorry to say but didnt look like a go' round to me, wrong signs.

cortilla
14th Jan 2004, 20:12
Perhaps the airport was testing out independant use of the two runways. The white paper does say we need to get max use out of the available facilities, and maybe this is the beginning of that

Geffen
14th Jan 2004, 20:46
Let's just say that it was a southbound off 27L (DHL 757) and an eva 747 northbound off 27R. Must say that it always looks good. Efficient use of the rwy's also!

Jerricho
14th Jan 2004, 22:07
Let's just say that
Come on Gef, spill the beans. Sounds a little interesting.

New procedures or something? With night alternation and runway use, I would have thought that noise considerations would have been a major consideration, especially to keep the locals off our backs. Then again, I have been away for 3 weeks, and christ knows what they're gonna spring on me when I'm back.

And Bristol..........just a dig dude :ok: It does kind of sound like a go-around situation, especially if they were both headed south.

Geffen
14th Jan 2004, 22:42
Well the night alternation applies after the last departure and as to the rwy's remember that alternation applies to landing traffic. think of it like the Conc arrivals on easterlies but in reverse!

Jerricho
14th Jan 2004, 23:27
So this is something we will be seeing more of in the future then?

Geffen
15th Jan 2004, 00:08
It depends who is doing air, what the weather's like and the right deps at the holding point. But who knows if the white paper on aviation has anything to say about it maybe in the future if mixed mode is utilised then i guess more parallel approaches and deps could be seen, again dependant on weather.

southern duel
15th Jan 2004, 16:19
Not that i was on duty last night but it was probably to do with making sure the DHL got airborne by 23:29. Otherwise he would have been refused from departing due to the NRP ( Night Restricted Period) At the moment the movements are over the top pro rata so movements are heavily restricted at the moment especially non pax aircraft.

Like to keeps the neighbours happy anyway !!!

BRISTOLRE
15th Jan 2004, 16:54
Thanks again Jerricho, no worries.
The comment about getting out B4 2329lt was probably a valid one. Friday night (last) saw the DHL A300F getting stuck in "after curfew" and had top leave Saturday AM LHR-BRU!

Gonzo
15th Jan 2004, 17:47
On westerlies there's no restriction on which runway we can use for departure. When it's quiet inbound the call often goes up "Northbound from 27R?" Of course, you have to double check that the 27R departure is a northbound! No special procedure, Jerricho......of course, we often get deluged by calls from you guys at TC asking what's going on with all those flashing red lines on your radar!!!!

Geffen
15th Jan 2004, 19:15
All boils down to service provision and i can say on this particular occassion it had nothing to do with the night noise and just saving the cargo and T4 boys a long taxi.

Jerricho
15th Jan 2004, 22:04
Sorry Gonze and Gef..........just reading back through and I definately didn't make myself very clear.

As I mentioned, I've been away for the past couple of weeks, I was kind of aluding to has the "mixed mode" idea started without me!? I have had the pleasure of watching the mighty Point 7 fire off a few from both runways. He thought he was pretty sh*t hot. I told him if he wanted to impress me...........do it with his eyes closed!

Gonzo
15th Jan 2004, 22:10
Hey, don't worry Jer, we make allowances for you......:p

The minute they force us to do mixed mode with the present state of affairs, I'm off!

Geffen
15th Jan 2004, 22:59
Chicken!!

Gonzo
15th Jan 2004, 23:13
Realist! :p

Ok then Geffen, tell me how it would work as things stand at the moment...........:E

Geffen
15th Jan 2004, 23:32
Oh I don't know close your eyes then count to ten and see where the traffic is then!

Or maybe change the type of airspace to the open FIR and make all traffic VFR and let them use the see and avoid principal?!?!.......

Okay didn't answer your question Gonzo, with difficulty and loads of hard work!

Jerricho
16th Jan 2004, 18:04
Awwww Gonze.....your a big wuss!

I'm gonna miss all the fun then, aren't I! (Not long now!)