PDA

View Full Version : Logging Instument Time

CPTVOR
14th Jan 2004, 00:52
Having recently secured a job flying, I am a little unsure of what exactly constitutes "Instrument Time" for my log book. If we are at FL410, on autopilot is this instrument time or should it be solely the time spent I.M.C.?

Any clarification would be really helpfull

Cheers

simfly
14th Jan 2004, 01:15
possibly depends on whether you are IFR or VFR

Intruder
14th Jan 2004, 02:00
IMO, Instrument time is defined by whether you are flying "solely with reference to insturments," not by whether you or Otto is flying.

Assuming I am indeed in IMC, and using 30 years of past practice, I log instrument time for all time when I am in the seat and designated Pilot Flying (PF), whether hand-flying or on autopilot. I do NOT log instrument time when I am the Pilot Not Flying or when I am resting in the back (when a Relief Pilot is in the seat).

Others may argue that the PIC may log instrument time for the entire time he is in the seat, whether or not he is the PF. I don't have any big quibble with that, but I also don't know what the various regulatory agencies say about it...

CPTVOR
14th Jan 2004, 04:55
Simfly, Its all I.F.R.

Intruder,

Are you saying that it doesnt matter if you are IMC or not, rather who is P.F.?

MasterCaution
14th Jan 2004, 05:11
In the UK instrument time is described in LASORS Section A:

A pilot may log as instrument flight time only that time during which he operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments, under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions.

LASORS suggests that instrument flight time should go in the remarks column (yeah, I know most logbooks have a dedicated column). Flight time under IFR is a required item (in the same way flight at night is).

"Time during which he operates the aircraft" suggests in a vague way that only the PF can log instrument time.

MC.

flyby_kiwi
14th Jan 2004, 15:14
What I go by:

Instrument time - This can be one of thee types...

1)Actual Instrument time (time spent in cloud)

2)Simultaed Instrument time (time in the a/c not in IMC but under the goggles)

3)Ground instrument time (time in the simulator).

What sometimes got confusing I found was time spent on an IFR flight plan as this was sometimes referred to as instrument time of which it is not.

Intruder
14th Jan 2004, 23:12
Are you saying that it doesnt matter if you are IMC or not, rather who is P.F.?

No. Read the first words: "Assuming I am indeed in IMC"...

So, logging Instrument Time => IMC + PF + In the Seat.

Tinstaafl
15th Jan 2004, 03:03
Depends what country's rules you operate under but it's generally:

1. You must be the handling pilot (some authorities also allow if you're the handling pilot while the autopilot is on)
2. You must be in less than Visual Meteorological Conditions**

**This could be artificially induced eg with a view limitiing device, as long as any additional rules such as having a safety pilot are observed. As long as the a/c is operated in VMC then you may not need to be using Instrument Flight Rules.

mutt
15th Jan 2004, 03:48
In order to answer this you must state what regulations are you operatiing under.........

Believe me when i say that i know people who log instrument time when they are asleep in the crew bunks....... :(

Mutt.\

CPTVOR
16th Jan 2004, 17:19
Mutt,

Its J.A.R's