PDA

View Full Version : A Met question problem

Jinkster
12th Jan 2004, 21:59
I thought I had got these type of questions of to a T

An aircraft is en-route at Fl180 in the northern hemisphere, wind is from the left, what happens to the oat when heading 360deg?

drawing a diagram with a/c heading north - wind from the left which means the high pressure or temp is on the left and the low on the right of the a/c - should the temp stay the same?

the answer is - temp is increasing from north to south.

Is this questions just a matter of the north pole is colder than the equator

Next question - i think it has cropped up before on pprune.

What is the usual procedure when encountering CAT en-route?

a) request climb to get out of CAT
b) turn around immediately
c) descend immediately
d) accelerate through it and stay level

any idea what the answer is - I was told its (b) in groundschool, however another school beginning with the letter 'O' say (c)

any other ideas??

Thanks in advance

M.85
12th Jan 2004, 22:10
Jinkster,

I believe if the wind is at your left you should be heading towards a LOW pressure.

If you encounter CAT ,I believe the action is to descend and turn right. in the nrthern hamisphere.I think the Jetstream is 12000 ft thick so if its said to be at lest sayFL360 ,descend to FL300 and you should clear it.

M.85

Jinkster
12th Jan 2004, 22:18
Oh :mad: buys ballots law - back to the wind low is on the left (in the northern H)

What a muppet I am :( :(

M.85
12th Jan 2004, 22:20
Jinkster,
Mupets are ones who dont ask questions:p
YOu knew the name i knew the content..thats CRM:E

M.85

CAT3C AUTOLAND
14th Jan 2004, 00:18
M.85,

With regard to the first question, and whiping away the cob webs of my ATPL memory banks, Buy Ballots law also applies to warm and cold air. The question asks what happens to the OAT. In the NH with your back to wind the cold air is on your left, therefore when flying north, wind from the left would indicate a westerly wind. So with that in mind, the cooler air is to the north, and the warmer air is to the south, therefore the given answer is correct, the air temperature will increase north to south.

This type of question is very typical in the MET exam, and the answers will also be worded in such a way as to confuse you, so read them very carefully.

Good Luck

Jinkster
14th Jan 2004, 01:43
Just to clear up ones mind.

Northern Hemisphere - Back to the wind low pressure and temp on the left

Southern Hemisphere - Back to the wind low pressure on the right.

Thanks for all the help. :ok:

muppet
14th Jan 2004, 03:15
What, not another muppet?

Seem to remember they used to tie this one up with what happens to your altitude at a constant pressure setting, as you travel N in Northern Hemishere with the wind on the left.

Ah! the good old days.

Dick Whittingham
14th Jan 2004, 03:27
Jinkster,

Everyone has the answer right, low temp ahead, but remember that when you are flying on a flight level or fixed indicated alt you are flying on a contour surface. The height of the surface amsl depends on both the msl baro and the air mass temp. Thus, at low level baro will dominate, and starboard drift means danger, as you are flying into a msl low pressure system.

At height air mass temp comes progresively to dominate the contour height, so in this question you are probably flying toward a low air mass temp region.

Specifically, however, all you can say is that in the N hemisphere, with a wind from the left, you are flying on a contour surface that is getting lower and lower, true alt decreasing, but you cannot say whether it is because of low msl baro, low air mass temp or both ahead of you.

On the CAT question, is this from an actual, verified exam question, or from a "feedback" list. The reason I ask is that I know of an exam question where the alternatives were escape vertically, up or down, or do something else, but I have not heard of the choice of up versus down.

Regards,

Dick W

witchdoctor
14th Jan 2004, 04:31
Jinkster,

Ref the CAT question, check the FI forum for the answer and explanation there. Typical JAR ga-ga land logic.:}