PDA

View Full Version : LUFTHANSA graduate looking for info on bmi/BA cockpit careers

The Graduate
12th Jan 2004, 16:11
Hi there!

I am looking for a bit of information about the current recruitment situations at bmi and BA.

I have recently graduated from the Lufthansa Flight School in Germany with a frozen ATPL (JAA). Unfortunately Lufthansa are unable to offer me a type-rating or cockpit job until approx. the middle of 2005, so I am obviously looking for either temporary or permanent positions elsewhere (namely bmi or BA).

I am trying to find out if anyone can tell me whether or not BA or bmi are recruiting at all and whether no type-rating would be a problem. Would either airline front the costs of my type-rating for me?

I would appreciate any information you have to offer.

Many thanks

The Graduate

zero-lash valve lifter
12th Jan 2004, 16:35
Yes of course both BMI and BA are requiring pilots who are willing to stay with them for a year or so and then go on to Lufthansa, in the mean time paying for their type rating!

Even if they were recruiting I doubt this attitude would go down well in an interview.:yuk: Might annoy some of the Brits trying to get a job with them too.

Chuffer Chadley
12th Jan 2004, 18:55
Now, now, ZLVF

There's no need to be prickly. The man made a perfectly polite enquiry, asking for temporary OR permanent jobs. No bad attitude on display.

Graduate: the news isn't good. BMI have been and may still be recruiting, but require a type-rating. BA are not recruiting, and do not look like doing so for many months at least. Check out:

www.ppjn.com

A very useful site.

Good luck.

Ciao!
CC

winch launch
12th Jan 2004, 19:38
Hey graduat.

Can you give us infos on how to enroll LFT.
Do you need to speak german?
I have seen they have a selection process, how many people pass it?
Also Have you heard of Eurocockpit? Apparently it s a school ran by the same organization as the one for LFT

Winch

wlhf
15th Jan 2004, 00:14
Hey Graduate,

can you tell me, for how long Lufthansa will keep you on their waiting list?
I heard after a certain time, they will release you (but you don't have to pay back the ATPL-costs).

Can you do a regular german apprenticeship during the waiting time in order to have i.e. a second job, if Lufthansa won't hire you (in these times, a second skill is worth something)?

Thx

hptaccv
15th Jan 2004, 03:30
..being in the same situation as Graduate, I can understand his post, albeit it being slightly blue-eyed in the current environment.
As most other 'graduates', I'm currently working in a company with my feet firmly on the ground. Even though I've worked in the maintenance end of the airline industry, I wasn't able to find a job, which would give me enough flexibility to quit on LH's call.

@wlhf
As far as I know and have been informed, there is no release clause or time restriction. Yes, I know of a few people who have begun to study business ad. or the likes. Usually people who take up apprenticeships have the equivalent of O-levels, the german Realschule; A-levels or 'Abitur' being a requirement for Lufthansa, most people will prefer to go on and study.

@winch launch
check out www.lufthansa-pilot.de Realistically speaking, I would say good spoken german is required. Although barely two years ago (..agreed, that was pre 9-11) LH employed quite a few people from the broke KLS (KLM flight training) school, who weren't native german speakers either.

Wishing all of us a happy new year!
hptaccv

wlhf
15th Jan 2004, 03:57
Thanks hptaccv for your answer,

as I'm from GER, too, I know about the status of apprenticeships in Germany, but I somehow thought that LH would release cadets after 3 years when unable to get them into a pay scale cockpit.
And as it is nearly impossible to finish a study within 3 years, I thought about a apprenticeship being a good alternative to an eventualy later LoL, even when it's not as qualified as a study.

But you mentioning that LH has no time restriction is very good news for me and then a study is of course a very good thing.
Do you know if it's possible to go into a ILST-course (without repeating the flying school ;) ) when you don't get a cockpit-job after your NFF?

What do you mean with a job with the "flexibility to quit on LH's call"?
What are you exactly doing (working) now?

Thanks ahead,
wlhf

Robbie Williams
15th Jan 2004, 04:43
he dont wanne have a (current) job where he is bound by a contract. he wanne be flexible to quit his current job in case lufthansa offers him a type rating!

@ graduate:

if you start flying for an airline (e.g. BA) which paid the type rating for you, be sure they will bound you by a contract for a minimum of two years! for sure you can quit but then you have to pay the type rating cost by now and maybe a contractual penalty will be there too. but this should not be an advise not looking for a job as a pilot. But why you do not start looking in Germany? Germania Express is looking for non type rated Pilots flying Fokker 100. HLX is looking for pilots, they accept no type rated pilots.

:ugh: dont be angry about my english

:cool: RW

Do you know if it's possible to go into a ILST-course (without repeating the flying school ) when you don't get a cockpit-job after your NFF

I dont think so because studying ILST is alway coupled by a parallel flight training. for sure you have already flight training but if the university or college who offers this topic is flexible enough you dont know. it take you four years to pass flight training with ILST.

wlhf
15th Jan 2004, 07:13
Thx, RW, I missunderstood the phrase from hpt... I was wondering why he wanted to get out of the LH contract. Wasn't able to understand that, but who would...

You're right about the ILST, but if you are already finished with a course at an school corrsponding to the FH Bremen and just make the 2 study years afterwards.
There could be a chance that it is possible...

Do you know exactly, if Lufthansa has a time restriction after finishing a NFF or not?

Greets
wlhf

Robbie Williams
15th Jan 2004, 23:18
Well, all I know is that they offer you three times a type rating. If you say to all three offers no, you get the bill of your flight training. That’s why it is so important that you say Lufthansa that you are not available if you are bounded by a contract. If they know you can not accept an type rating, they don’t try to contact you. I know a student pilot of Lufthansa who is working as a ramp agent at the Frankfurt Airport. But he had to accept a contract of one year.

I do not know anything about that you have not to pay anything back if they do not can offer you a cockpit within three years.

:cool: RW