PDA

View Full Version : YVR.... Expansion + A380

YVRKid
12th Jan 2004, 10:23
Good Day,

I was wondering if anyone knew what that big pit, thats sitting in the middle of the tarmac is going to become. I've heard rumours they are planning on expanding the international terminal in the area. Also, will they be expanding their runways anymore? I do believe they are expanding 8R/26L by a couple hundred feet....will this be enough to accomodate the A380? Thanks!

Rollingthunder
13th Jan 2004, 06:36
Looks like there are plans to extend 08R/26L at the western end by a small amount. Also an engine run-up area to be established in the vicinity. That construction zone to the west of the ITB - not sure. Thought is was for aircraft parking. Expansion for international terminal building seems to be reserved towards the east of the existing terminal.

Try this:

http://www.yvr.ca/authority/whoweare/future.asp

Check at the bottom of the page for a land use map.

Slapshot
15th Jan 2004, 03:28
I was told a while back that there was to be an expansion of the International Gates to the "west" of the current building. The area in question is the "preload" to prepare the site for construction of the extra "finger". The area is preloaded with an amount of sand to load and compact the soil and so settle the ground for construction.

I don't know that CYVR is so busy as to require extra gates for the Int'l side, so it could be a vacant sand pile for a while yet...

canuck slf
8th Feb 2004, 00:34
Slapshot is in deed correct. The preload and preliminary works were carried out in 2001 with completion of the West ITB wing scheduled for 2002, but something happened to delay things!!
The West wing of the ITB does have A 380 stands in the drawings I have seen and I would think the planning is now to complete prior to the 2010 Olympics.

The Run Up project adds a short extension to 08R/26L. The pile of sand there is also a pre load. The revised taxi alignment allows use of the entire runway length, as well as adding some length, rather than losing length as you turn on and line up. This is one of the prime reasons for the work. Apparently there are some changes to the rules governing available runway length in the works. Some airlines SOP account for length lost due to lining up whilst others do not. I think the runway is already OK for A 380 as the field lengths are the same as currently required, stand areas and taxi clearances are the A 380 problems. The completion of the Run Up work includes putting the perimeter road in a tunnel, for blast reasons, and will start this Spring. The tie in of the run up work will coincide with the re-paving and replacement of the lighting on 08R/26L which will take place over a 12 week period of night closures this summer between 2000 and 0600.
The 08R ILS has already been relocated on piles out on the jetty, however the 08R threshold will remain where it is, so will be displaced from the new end of the runway.

Cheers