PDA

View Full Version : Recurrency

Tonic Please
11th Jan 2004, 21:25
Hi all. I tranied at the Victoria Flying Club at VIc Intl Aprt and got my PPL there. I am returning there in Feb (2nd) to get some hours on it as later in the year I will be extremely busy etc. Anyway, the manager informed me that I must do a "re-test" so to speak, which meant going up with an instructor to make sure I am safe enough to fly.

Well, i got 132 on my flight test (highest 140, min pass level 75 i think) so i am quite good at flying and all, but I just want to know what is involved in this retest?

Is it very formal like the flight test? Or is it just a casual fly around with an instructor (not neccersarily the CFI) where im PIC, and he just asked me to do some things...shows me some things...refreshes my brain a bit and then says ok your good and puts it in my log book?

Thanks for the replies.

Smooth skies, Dan.

m&v
12th Jan 2004, 01:18
some companie's Insurance firms require a 'circuit'or two every six months,well thats the explanation they give the renting pilot..:confused:

Big Pistons Forever
12th Jan 2004, 03:06
I am a member of VFC and used to instruct there many moons ago. The club has allways required annual recurrent training for all members and currency checkouts for members who have not flown in 90 days, one of the reasons it has one of Canada's best safety records. I did many checkout flights when I worked there and. I don't think he drill has changed much. I started with a quick review of club policy and proceedures and a review of recent airspace/regulatory changes. The flight consisted of a bit of airwork, a PFL and a couple of circuits. The lenght of the flight depended on how well the pilot did. Most were around .6 or so.
BTW the ones that I found most tiresome were the pilots that considered they did not require any recurrent training because they were such Sierra Hotel pilots. :rolleyes: Allthough I have to admit it was kind of fun to demonstrate they were not as good as they thought they were:E

Tonic Please
12th Jan 2004, 03:10
Well what a great answer from someone who worked there! DO you still pop in every now and again? Im there from 3rd Feb until 12 when I leave in the evening. Would be nice to meet you for a lunch and a flight.

Is it very unformal then? Do they mark me on things? Or do they come up with a headset and bottle of water and im PIC?

Dan

Big Pistons Forever
12th Jan 2004, 03:20
When I did them, I filled in the aplicable parts of a actual TC flight test report so that there would be a record of the flight, but I do not know what they do now. It has never been a big deal so I would not be concerned. I forgot to mention I always asked if there was a particular manoever the pilot wanted to review, so I would recommend if there is anything you feel particularly rusty on get the instructor to include it. I keep my airplane at the club and I am around a fair bit, The manager can point me out, he knows my pprune handle