PDA

View Full Version : Stapleford Flight Centre, UK

Foz2
11th Jan 2004, 00:44
Hi,

I am currently doing my PPL at Stapleford Flight Centre in Essex and looking eventually to go on and do my commercials there as well. Does anyone know how Stapleford is thought of by the airlines etc? Is there anyone who has done their commercials there or got any advice to offer?

Thanks

Irishtjs
11th Jan 2004, 01:45
I have heard good reports about this place. PM me and Ill give further info.

:D

FLYbyWIT
11th Jan 2004, 02:50
I recommend you do stay on with them for cpl, as far as how well known are they?? well what you should be more interested is will they train you not only for cpl/ir but have your skills sharpened enough to adequately to pass a sim check with an airline. My understanding is that there has been quiet a few students go through there ranks who are now working so that should answer that question. If your there already why dont you speak to some of there commercial students who usually are found drifting about.
If your a good enough pilot in the sim it should'nt really matter where you trained.:ok:

FLYbyWIT
12th Jan 2004, 03:14
No matter where you go money is the issue, and to say most students who go to sfc are loaded is rubbish, sfc like many other uk fto's offer good training and prices which are always within a close margin of other schools lower or higher. Most schools will of course knock a little of the price if payment is up front, this is not an sfc only trait.
Just for the record I do not work for sfc nor do I have any close links with them but I have had dealings with them as I have with the majority of other FTO's in the country and like every school they have pro's and cons, and for the record there has been alot more then one student who secured employment after training there and suprisingly enough did not pay for the type rating, but equally other FTO's have produced students who have secured employment.
FOZ2 if your in sfc now you can get the idea of the training level,people etc etc, the fact you live close is a money saving benefit and of course your local flying area knowledge and familarity with there a/c is helpful but you gotta visit other schools to compare and you will see what differences if any.
As for been loaded well maybe OATS/BAE students but to some degree every aspiring pilot has to be loaded to some degree!!!,, And find me an instructor who does'nt pi22 off to shelter while you tie up and then he/she expect YOU to get a coffee for them and I will eat my hat, "its an expression before any wise guys jump on it":hmm:

Foz2
12th Jan 2004, 06:49
Flybywit,

Thanks for your post, I think I probably will stay at Stapleford - I do like it there.

Visited OAT and Cabair - wasnt impressed with Cabair, was with OAT - seemed like a much more professional setup however as they now do the CPL and ME in the states and the IR is all but done in Sims they dont seem to have very many aircraft - in fact I noticed that they are now selling some of their senecas!! Any views on CPL in the states with OAT? What do you think about hour building in the states as I am fed up of the weather in this country.

Cheers

Foz2

AIRWAY
12th Jan 2004, 16:11
figair

to my knowledge the one who got a job are curretnly working in "LOW FARE AIRLINE" where however a certain knowledge is required there is a more important factor

And to mine, one is working for a Cargo Airline and another for a Charter Airline.

with more advantegeous prices, friendlier atmosphere and so on. You will find everything at Stap

Correct, but i will take the "if" out, reason being im also a student at Stapleford, and they encourage me to ask as many questions as i want, im not paying for my training in advance and they never asked for it.

Offer coffee to your instructor

This is also correct :}

---

I can't add more, everything as been said... Im very happy with the training im getting from SFC.

iainpoll
12th Jan 2004, 20:17
Hi,

Can't go far wrong mate, I did my PPL and some hour building there and its fine.

Will be doing my IR there as well.

Cheers, Iain

ESSEX BOY
13th Jan 2004, 03:30
Fig AIR ??? :confused:

Doesn't seem you have got the point ? You did say quite clearly on your previous post that:

"most of student at Stapleford are loaded with money"

Well, grammar aside ? ... I'd like to know how you can back these statements up ... I done all my flight training at Stapleford, and i am & was far from loaded !

nothing paid up front ... distance learning groundschool (whilst working to try and pay for everything).

My experience of Stapleford FTO was good, always a friendly atmosphere, good prices and excellent flight training. First time passes in all flight training in min hours.

These were the most important factors to me. I do also happen to know of several students that have recently gone to airlines such as Brittannia, Monarch, Excel and others ...!

And NO they didn't all pay for type ratings !

If I/many other students were LOADED as you put it - im sure i would consider doing a type rating if a job was to come of it ?
All for the same price as a F ATPL at some other FTO's ! Don't get me wrong i do not agree with having to pay for the rating !

Good luck with choice and training FOZ2 ! :ok:

MorningGlory
14th Jan 2004, 19:06
Dear oh dear fig air.... thanks for that, did make me laugh! In answer to the original post, and ignoring the apparent lack of literacy from our more 'naive' and 'not so rich' young associates;

Airlines couldn't give a hoot where you do your initial basic training up to the end of atpl's, i.e.: ppl, imc. night, multi, hour building and written exams for atpl (if on a modular course). Airlines will be more interested in first time passes for flight tests and high average grades in the exams. They would also like not to see too many training organisations on your CV. So for your CPL, IR and MCC go to just one reputable school that has had numerous graduates enter work with various types of airlines recently, i.e.: Stapleford. Of course this is not a guarantee that you will do the same on graduation, because that depends on a few items pointed out below, however, it does prove that the training is to a standard which for talented people can flourish within and get the best opportunity to enter an airline upon completion.

You can argue with this as much as you may wish, but the facts are there to be examined by anybody who cares to contact them.

More importantly than that before you do anything, go and see the nice chaps at GAPAN and do some aptitude testing. A lot of people don't do this and end up with a large bill at the end of training and no job, so do it and you wont go into the training blind.

Remember that which ever school you train with, they can only do so much. Your own natural ability, tenacity and aptitude will determine your outcome, and NOT the school you attended.

Early on in training it's easy not to see the bigger picture and blame all sorts of individuals and organisations for your own failings... be careful not to fall into this trap.

My final point is; YES it does cost a lot of money to complete professional flight training, nobody said it didn't, so to generalise about an organisation, and its students apparent wealth is not only ridiculous and assuming but it also sounds rather bitter and naive.

Good luck in your quest. :p

clearfortheoption
14th Jan 2004, 22:22
Foz2,

I did CPL,ME,IR at SFC and I have been very happy with my training,I didn't do my groundschool with London met and I did my PPL and Hour building somewhere else, Therefore my experience with SFC is limited to the flying side of the training (CPL,ME,IR only).

I had very professional instructors since day one and the ladyes at the desk have always been very helpful.

I was given a quote since day one and if you don't pay upfront the have a pricelist according to which you can pay as you go(like I did).

I only know of a few guys who recently got jobs/interviews some of them will have to pay for a TR,this is a delicate issue and I don't want to start a debate here regading this.

Figair....

I understand that you didn't have a very good experience with SFC maybe they could have done better to support your case (which maybe you should describe).

All the problems that you mention regarding friendlyness etc.. are
only linked to your personal experience and I respect but not share.
Come on not everyone who goes to Stap is loaded! I am one of those,like you,that had to work hard to save every penny before I could afford flight training!
The fact that there are very young pilots who have very rich parents has nothing to do with SFC ,this guys are however very often found in different FTOs not many at SFC.

Essex Boy....

Well, grammar aside ?

For a person whose english is not the first language is never too easy to express ideas and feelings....however I thought That figair made his point clear anyway.

Take care

CFTO

Superfly
15th Jan 2004, 19:05
I did my CPL/IR multi at SFC and I can't recomand them enough. as many wannabees I needed to work hard to get the dosh, which meant I had to keep my full time job while training for the CPL/IR. SFC have been very helpfull with that, they accomodated their schedule in accordance to my availability, which meant several very early SIM sessions. My instructor at the time made that extra effort to change his schedule for me, I felt we built a very close student-instructor relationship , which helped me immensly taking on the new knowledge and skills. When I think about my personnal situation at the time I took the exam for the I/R I think I would never have managed to pass at the first series without the help I received from Stapleford.
As mentioned earlier on this thread everybody is different and it's down to what you make of it ( ie: how you will interact with the people you meet). I nevertheless think that SFC have a "human" dimension and just don't take your cash in exchange of some training. It's been now 5 months since I passed my I/R test and I'm still not flying for living but I know that what I've learned in Stapleford will serve me well when I get THE interview and sim ride.

If you have any question, feel free to PM me. SF

FLYbyWIT
16th Jan 2004, 00:46
Its nice to see that the level of replies has not fallen as low as certain individuals "mature" ramblings.
figair you gain absouletly squat from jumping down peoples throats at the drop of a hat, chill and use this site for a more constructive aid to yourself. For the record you could'nt have been any further of the mark in relation to my situation.

FLYbyWIT
16th Jan 2004, 04:14
Positive and negative opinions welcome.
Immature,foolish comments on peoples persumed financial standing etc etc, figair please grow up.