PDA

View Full Version : Singapore Safety

jumbo1
9th Jan 2004, 18:20
Any Qantas, BA, KLM (or any other) crew got any info on crew being attacked in Singapore, or any other layovers for that matter. Would appreciate any feedback.

HotDog
9th Jan 2004, 18:49
Don't know about Ba or KLM but definitely nothing ever happens to Quantas crew, as there is no such airline.

Spuds McKenzie
9th Jan 2004, 18:57
jumbo1,

What HotDog wanted to tell you is, that there's one "u" too many in your post...

;)

jumbo1
9th Jan 2004, 19:19
Hey Hotdog, sorry 'bout that. Must have been yet another long night at the office! Have a good one mate!

Flopster
9th Jan 2004, 19:20
Don't go to Lagos. I've heard, but dunno if it's true, that an entire KL crew got abucted and gang raped (incl. the male pilots) in Lagos a few years ago.

ek_20
9th Jan 2004, 19:35
IM NEW HEAR AND IM NOT SURE HOW TO START A NEW TOPIC OR WATEVER U WANNA CALL THESE THING BUT I WOULD BE REALLY GRATEFUL IF SOMEONE COULD GIVE ME SOME INFO ON eEMIRATES OPERATIONS IN THE UK.

THANX.

M.Mouse
9th Jan 2004, 19:54
Before you get bombarded with abuse the first point is to switch of the CAPS lock on your PC keyboard as typing in capital letters is considered bad form and akin to shouting. An effort to use proper English is also appreciated i.e. the use of 'U' and 'wanna' looks as though the poster is illiterate, lazy or both.

In answer to your question choose a suitable forum, suggest 'Airlines, Airports and Routes', and then, when in that forum, hit the 'New Topic' button on the top right or bottom left of the screen and post away.

A little observation would have shown you that, had you cared to spend a few minutes looking.

The Riddler
9th Jan 2004, 20:54
A Pilot was injured recently during a fight in "China Jump" nightclub during a layover in SIN.

EDDNHopper
10th Jan 2004, 03:20
jumbo1,

I am sorry but I am failing to spot the connection between pilots/crew and assaults/armed robbery etc. in the first place. (I donīt know whether this is the right forum for this type of question, anyway.)

Pilot or not, almost any large city on earth has no-go areas or places you should not walk around at night. Lagos has been mentioned, the city centre of Jo`burg is notorious, etc. etc.

Singapore, for that matter, is one of the safest places I have ever been to.

HotDog
10th Jan 2004, 09:25
The F/O and me got set upon by a bunch of locals wielding bamboo poles once in a questionable part of Katong many years ago. However it was entirely our fault, in fact the F/O's as he refused to pay for services rendered.:}

CaptainSouth
10th Jan 2004, 20:42
Qantas crew received a security bulletin 10 December 03 alerting us to a recent assault on crew at Chijmes bar behind the Raffles Hotel as well as some bar up Orchard Rd.

Lou Scannon
10th Jan 2004, 22:37
Perhaps the crew got clever with someone over how he spelt "Qantas"!

CaptSnails
11th Jan 2004, 11:29
Most of the times I've been to China Jump with my crew we find the "Quantas" crew there who are totally legless and harass everything that walks by.

If you go out looking for trouble you'll certainly find it.

maxy101
11th Jan 2004, 16:36
If I could second the fact that Singapore is one of the safest cities I have been to. Especially places like Chijmes and other places that foreigners go to. The authorities are aware that more bad publicity on top of Sars would further damage the economy. That of course doesn't stop drunken foreigners from causing trouble....

angels
12th Jan 2004, 16:05
I lived in Singapore for four years.

Believe you me, you have to go out of your way to find trouble there. But I have to agree with CaptSnails, if you start behaving like a total **** then it won't be too long before someone lays one on you.

And Chijmes isn't a bar per se, it's a load of restaurants (and an Irish pub) contained within what was -- I believe -- an old convent.

Any crew stopping over in Singapore should consider Holland Village or Jalan Sultan Mohammed for a night out.

joelnthailand
18th Jan 2004, 03:16
> If I could second the fact that Singapore is one of the safest cities I have been to. Especially places like Chijmes and other places that foreigners go to. The authorities are aware that more bad publicity on top of Sars would further damage the economy. That of course doesn't stop drunken foreigners from causing trouble....

I just returned from a one year contract in Singapore. As the enconomy in Singapore has deteriorated, minor street crime has obviously increased (i.e. pickpocketting). Watch your wallet!