PDA

View Full Version : Why call V2....

Xshongololo
9th Jan 2004, 14:34
why call V2 on a takeoff?
Is it really practical? I can understand its uses during type certification but not day to day ops....
As PF ...when you hear V2 called, are there people out there who
get a warm fuzzy feeling.....?
Xshong

Herp
9th Jan 2004, 19:59
Our SOPs do not require a call of V2, simply 80kts, V1 and Rotate, after which you are scanning the ASI anyway. With V2 in the speed window, you can both readily see when V2 is reached and if the speed is likely to go below it.

Hope this answers your question.

john_tullamarine
10th Jan 2004, 06:43
.. plus V2 is relevant to a critical failure ... if the failure occurs later, or there is no failure, then the speed should be some margin above V2.

Certainly it would be appropriate to call if the speed in an OEI situation were to reduce below V2.

411A
10th Jan 2004, 10:48
.......or, for the younger readers here, on transport piston types (and many turboprops), V2 is announced, because that is when the rotation maneuver begins.
Jet tranports are slightly different, of course.
And, not necessarily by design, but was found very necessary with early jet types, if the rotation was delayed to V2, there would not have been a runway long enough for 'em to takeoff.
Groundgrippers they were, without a doubt

**777lover**
10th Jan 2004, 18:32
Hi,

I heard some pilots prefered to wait til 'V2' to rotate as this meant a smoother and easier rotation. Which is believable. I have also one question what is the 747-400s and 777-200/300s rotate speed as this is a question im yet to know the answer.

Thanks Dave

:ok:

White Knight
10th Jan 2004, 19:17
777luvver -rotation speeds for each type alone vary by a very large amount , dependant upon weight, weather, density altitude blah blah blah.

Also if some pilots are indeed waiting to V2 to rotate, rather than rotating at rotate then they are screwing up all those beautiful calculations that they did while the aeroplane was parked at the gate :{ :{ . In fact they are invalidating the aircrafts performance completely.

**777lover**
10th Jan 2004, 19:31
Oh right,

I'll have to shout at my airline pilot friend who told me that. I'll have to get him to have a chat with you white knight. Hes such an idiot!!! Thankyou very much for the info i'll take it on board and so will MY FRIEND!!!

thanks dave :ok:

mutt
10th Jan 2004, 19:50
Dave,

What type of aircraft is your friend flying????

Mutt.

**777lover**
11th Jan 2004, 00:16
Hi,

I spoke to him about 8 months ago and he was looking into a main position at Qantas or ANZ (long haul operations) due to him living in Australia, Canberra. I know he was flying as a first officer in a BAE-146. He will be visiting soon so maybe i'll get him to become a member of this website. I emailed him earlier and hes yet to reply. Probably because its 12am their time when i sent the email. I hope this helps with your query,Mutt, and im open to any other questions, but not too many!!!

Thanks Dave :ok: