PDA

View Full Version : What is the best Route for me to take ? Advice Pls

Irishtjs
9th Jan 2004, 04:05
I have made the decision to attain my CPL(A) and I was wondering what is the best route to take.

I have 2.5 months leave to take from work and was considering going to the states to complete my PPL.

As a 28 Y/O/ I appreciate that timing is critical...Is 28 too old to do it by Modular means or should I just bite the bullet and take the integrated route.

What method of training do employers generally prefer? Can anyone recommend a JAA accredited Flying school in the States where I an complete the PPL? Any meaningful suggestions appreciated

GrantT
9th Jan 2004, 11:33
This has been covered a lot in this forum.

Is 28 too old to do it by Modular means or should I just bite the bullet and take the integrated route.

You can do a modular course in the same time as you do an integrated course, that is if you plan correctly etc.

What method of training do employers generally prefer?

Neither, as long as you have the qualifications/experience airlines are not bothered with who you train with. Don't get the idea that if you train at Oxford or another reputable school you will have an edge over other applicants applying for airlines, you won't.

I'm not a professional pilot, i've got all the answers from this forum, just try searching next time.

SkyRocket10
9th Jan 2004, 15:45
Read a most recent GAPAN survey, which will answer the majority of your immediate questions.

http://www.gapan.org/career/survey.htm

FlyingForFun
9th Jan 2004, 16:07
Is my memory failing me, or did you ask a very similar question yesterday???

For my opinion, see the reply I posted, erm, yesterday ;)

FFF
---------------

Global Pilot
9th Jan 2004, 16:08
G'day!

Like you I was contemplating starting traing at 28. Asked the advice of a then recently qualified pilot who said to take all my savings and invest them in something that would make money and not to go near flying. Once said he followed it up with full support for what I was about to embark on. he qualified what he had said by explaining that he had spent large sums of money gaining qualifications and had already been shafted by a number airlines. After following a similar path and only recently began flying for a small charter outfit her in Ireland I am better to understand his advice.

Explore all your avenues. Never part with money untill you arrive at an FTO. Any flight school worthwhile and in good financial standings won't ask for money before you start. Even then part with it slowly as your training progresses. Not up to date on schools in the US but I used European Flight training (at Fort Pierce) in Florida for my multi/IR and found them excellent. They were expensive and the equipment was a bit weathered but the training was superb and I finished n time on just under budget.

I would strongly recomend doing all your ATPL exams before you set foot in an airplane. It will save you time and money in the end.

If there is anything else I can help with or if any of the above needs explanation then please feel free to send me a private message.

Good Luck

ECHIE
9th Jan 2004, 16:09
You can try Aeromadrid in Spain, www.aeromadrid.com, they have an excellent modular and integrated courses. Myself I have done there an MCC and FI course and was very pleased with them.

For more information you can always contact me, [email protected].

With kind regards,

Theo