PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to possess ATPL to be PPL level instructor?

zaplead
8th Jan 2004, 18:55
Hi,
Was wondering whether you must possess an ATPL to be a flight instructor upto PPL level or whether you may simply undertake an 'instructor module' ontop of you're basic PPL.
If you don't require an ATPL rating how do's this affect the PPL rule of not receiving payment from passengers?
Do you have to be a qualified instructor to carry the public on an 'air experience/familiarisation' flight as paying pax?
Is this why some 'sightseeing' flights appear to be publisised as 'trial lessons'?
Finally, I understand training flights must fly out of licensed airfields but does this also apply to 'air experience' flights for fare paying public?
Any info would be most gratefully received as I am very confused!!
Many Thanks.....Zap:ok:

Field In Sight
8th Jan 2004, 20:03
Have a look here.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_H.pdf

First you need to do at least the CPL exams (most people do the full ATPL exams instead as it isn't much more work).

You need to do an instructor course/test before you can instruct for the PPL.

You need to upgrade your PPL license to a CPL before you can get paid.

Is this why some 'sightseeing' flights appear to be publisised as 'trial lessons'?
Finally, I understand training flights must fly out of licensed airfields but does this also apply to 'air experience' flights for fare paying public?

The last 2 points are correct. Sightseeing on it's own would be classed as public transport.

FIS.

BEagle
9th Jan 2004, 06:09
Q: Was wondering whether you must possess an ATPL to be a flight instructor up to PPL level or whether you may simply undertake an 'instructor module' on top of your basic PPL.

A: 1. You need at least CPL level knowledge; hence you must pass all the CPL theoretical exams as a minimum requirement.

2. You must also pass the FI course. Hardly ‘simple’!

Q: If you don't require an ATPL rating how does this affect the PPL rule of not receiving payment from passengers?

A: In addition to having passed your CPL exams, you must also hold a CPL or ATPL in order to receive payment for giving flight instruction. However, on a private flight you may share the direct operating costs with your passengers as long as you pay your fraction. E.g. with 4 people on board (including the pilot), the pilot must pay at least 25% of the cost. But you may not advertise your services nor make it a condition of the flight that everyone pays their share.

Q: Do you have to be a qualified instructor to carry the public on an 'air experience/familiarisation' flight as paying pax?

A: Yes. But the member of the public receiving the air experience must be given an element of flight instruction.

Q: Is this why some 'sightseeing' flights appear to be publicised as 'trial lessons'?

A: ‘Sightseeing’ flights which are not trial flights may only be flown by a bon fide air operator under strictly commercial public transport regulations. To do so otherwise would constitute illegal public transportation, an offence upon which the CAA’s Enforcement Branch would be likely to act.

Q: Finally, I understand training flights must fly out of licensed airfields....

A: Yes.

Q:.... but does this also apply to 'air experience' flights for fare paying public?

A: Yes. But they are not the ‘fare paying public’, they are prospective pilots receiving flight instruction.

Any info would be most gratefully received as I am very confused!!
Many Thanks.....Zap

You’re welcome!

zaplead
14th Jan 2004, 03:06
Dear All,
Many, many thanks to you all for the time & trouble in replying to my enquiry, its much appreciated.
As you can imagine, to a non-pilot this situation is somewhat confusing and you have all clarified my view quite considerably.
thanks again...Zap:ok: