PDA

View Full Version : CPL before hour building?

Penworth
7th Jan 2004, 18:44
I know conventional wisdom says you hour build to about 175 hours, so that on completion of the 25 hour CPL course you have the necessary 200 hours for licence issue, but is there anything to stop you doing the CPL course and then hour building to 200 hours?

I know that 150 hours of pilot time, and 70 hours PIC (if doing the multi engine rating at the same time) are required before starting the CPL, but other than the fact that the more hours of constructive hour building you've done, the easier (theoretically) the CPL should be, is there any reason why you shouldn't be able to build hours to 150 total time, do the CPL, then complete the remaining 25 hours of hour building to 100 hours PIC and 200 hours in total to apply for the licence?

Personal circumstances dictate that this would be the best way for me to approach this part of my training. Can anyone see any flaws in this plan?

Cheers

PW

FlyingForFun
7th Jan 2004, 18:58
No reason not to do what you're suggesting, as far as I can see.

But remember that 25 hours is the minimum. And it doesn't include the time for the skills test itself. So, realistically, if you start the CPL with exactly 150 hours, you probably won't finish it with much less than 180 hours, so it's only 20 hours that we're talking about here.

FFF
----------------

Penworth
7th Jan 2004, 19:12
Cheers FFF, but its more the PIC hours requirement that I'll struggle to meet, more than the overall number of hours. I'll only have 70 hours P1 when I do the CPL, so will need another 30 hours. Still not a huge number, admittedly, but I wont be able to get the time off to fly them before I plan to do my CPL.

PW

Keygrip
7th Jan 2004, 19:32
Penworth - I would suggest that the route of which you speak (build to 150 hours, then CPL, then build the rest) is the NORMAL approach that the vast majority of students/candidates take.

No problem with it, what-so-ever.

Penworth
7th Jan 2004, 20:05
thanks keygrip, I've obviously slightly misunderstood the hourbuilding-CPL route. cheers for the advice.