PDA

View Full Version : Availability of JAA Regulations on CD

TomBola
6th Jan 2004, 00:49
I actually have 2 unrelated questions.

1. Does anybody know where I can get hold of a copy of JAA Regulations on CD ROM?

2. My brane is getting old!! I seem to remember that the formula for calculating angle of bank required for a rate one turn at different speeds is something like TAS/60. Is that right, if not what is it - and why?

Thanks,

Tom

Cathar
6th Jan 2004, 02:45
The JARs can be downloaded from:
http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jarsec1.html

This is only the section one material ie the requirements and not the guidance material. If you need the section 2 material or can't be bothered with the hassle of downloading CD's of the JARs can be purchased, details at:
http://www.jaa.nl/catalogue/catalogue.html#para14

cool blue
6th Jan 2004, 10:01
Tom

Re: Rate 1

AoB = (TAS/10) + 7

Rgds

CB

gear down props forward
6th Jan 2004, 10:52
The easy formula, that I was given when taking IR training:

Standard rate of turn (3°/sec.): BankAngle = 10% of TAS + 5

For 100 knots, this formula suggests 15° of bank angle as an approximate standard rate turn. This formula returns a good estimate, as the "exact" bank angle is 15.38°.

Now take for instance...250 knots. If no flight director is installed, then 30 degrees of bank (using the easy formula) approximates a standard rate turn. The "exact" standard rate bank angle is 34.51° (flight directors limit bank angle to a maximum of 25° for those who do not know).

It seems this formula is good enough for slow speeds, however, when you need to know the "exact" bank angle, use this formula (find your scientific calculator!):

ROT = ( 1091 * tan a ) / TAS

"ROT" is rate of turn ("3" for 3°/second)
"a" is bank angle
"TAS" is in knots true
"*" means multiply, "/" means divide

A little bit of algebra and you have:

a = tan-1 ( (ROT * TAS) / 1091 )

Use "3" for ROT and you will have a standard rate turn. Use "1.5" and you will have half standard rate (jets, high altitude, something faster than 250 knots).

I cannot remember whether "tan-1" means arctangent or cotangent...anyway, do all the math inside the parantheses then hit "shift, tan" or "2nd, tan" on your calculator and voila!

What? No scientific calculator or tangent tables available? Then use the chart (http://vei.twu.net/pics/turnperformance.jpg)
(PM me if you want a higher resolution copy of this chart)

TomBola: you did ask "why" and there you have it! Now if I can just be asked questions like this on my pilot candidate interviews, I could probably get my name to the top of the stack quicker.

On my most recent interview last month, I was flown to company HQ via one of their freight Learjets. In a hurry to keep a tight schedule, standard rate turn policy went out the window and 60 degrees of bank :eek: was rolled in to get on a GPS direct course in a hurry! Tisk tisk--Learjet cowboys...well at least the freight did not mind!

Hope the information helps,

gear down props forward

cool blue
7th Jan 2004, 02:54
Correction

I realise that both "TAS/10 + 7" (mine) and "TAS/10 +5" (gdpf's) are incorrect as formulae.

The true formula is:

TAS/10 (KTS) plus 50% of the value left.

Thus, "+7" is good for 140KTS and "+5" for 100KTS.

Apparently, "+5" can be used formulaically when using MPH.

Rgds

CB