PDA

View Full Version : Instructing without C150/152

Prophead
5th Jan 2004, 20:03
I am currently trying to decide whether i should get my instructors rating and spend some time instructing to build my hours (Which would mean leaving a fairly well paid job) or paying for the hours myself. One thing i think may be a problem is the fact that at 6'3" i was told when i began my PPL that i would not be able to get in a C150/152 (I haven't actually tried it myself). Seeing as this is the most popular training aircraft would i be able to make any sort of a living as an instructor or should i stick to renting to build my hours?

Unusual Attitude
5th Jan 2004, 20:49
I think someone has been yanking your chain mate as I'm 6'3" and did my PPL years ago in C150's and C152's no problem.
The only real issue you'll have is if your a bit on the "Wide" side as elbow room can be a bit lacking and it all gets a bit too cozy !!

Why don't you just nip down to your local club and have a seat in one with an instructor beside and see how you fit ?
I only ever once remember banging my head and that was during some very nasty turbulence up towards Wick with my lap belt not done up tight enough. (rectified very quickly afterwards!!)

FlyingForFun
5th Jan 2004, 21:10
How about w+b issues? I've never flown a C152, but I gather from friends who have/do fly them that two up with a reasonable amount of fuel will take you over the MAUW unless both people are anorexic?

FFF
----------

PS - Suggest you try to have a chat with a PPRuNer called Tall_Guy_In_A_152. He is exactly what his handle says, and he hangs out mainly in the Private Flying forum!

kabz
6th Jan 2004, 00:36
Isn't the 150/152 becoming (sadly) less popular due to the ability of flight schools to charge more for instruction in 172s ?

Not to mention all the PA28 variants out there used for flight instruction.

Prophead
6th Jan 2004, 05:12
Thanks for the replies..

I think it may also be a weight issue as well as height.

I am just trying to figure out the best way of building hours, buying a share sounds good, im just worried about getting huge repair bills when something goes wrong. Ive just received some info from Riverside and they do a flight experience course which gives 80 hours so i may look into that.

cheers

prophead