PDA

View Full Version : Hard to be a son ?

kasskouye
5th Jan 2004, 15:26
Hi folks
On a french forum,a guy said that the son of a captain of Singapore airline,United or Delta cannot apply for a job of pilot within the same compagny
Anybody to comfirm ?
Happy new year

Basil
5th Jan 2004, 19:24
I believe it isn't considered to be a plus point in BA either.

wrenchbender
5th Jan 2004, 22:26
I find that hard to believe. At Air Canada, it's almost a prerequisite.

ETOPS
5th Jan 2004, 22:42
Lots of Father/son teams in BA and a couple of daughters as well!

747FOCAL
5th Jan 2004, 22:54
Maybe it has changed but back int he day my Uncle made Captain on the 747 at a very young age. Most probably because my grandfather was 747 Chief Pilot for that airline. :hmm:

I believe he was 24 or 25. :}

A-V-8R
7th Jan 2004, 01:51
Not a problem at United. We have many Father/Son and even Daughters working here.

I could name names, but I'd rather not. However, if you would use one of the Newspaper Search Engines that cover newspapers in the US of A you'd probably see recent pix of two pilot crews related. And I can think of of one 727 crew that was all in the same family.

Showing once again it's not the aviation qualifications that count, it's who you blow..... :{ Clearly, I never knew the right people....

Young Paul
7th Jan 2004, 19:26
Even daughters????!

So you mean there are some pilots who don't chain their daughters to the sink once they reach puberty?

:D

FlapsOne
8th Jan 2004, 01:39
I refuse to enter a debate about me, daughters and the use of chains!!!

That's what days off are for!

Big Tudor
8th Jan 2004, 17:04
I always thought it was considered unacceptable for a crew to be comprised of members of the same family. As I recall due to the risks of one family suffering multiple loss in the event of a serious accident.

(I get the feeling this thread is about to be swamped with examples of fathers / sons / daughters / mothers / grannies et al flying together).

Basil
8th Jan 2004, 20:42
<<Lots of Father/son teams in BA and a couple of daughters as well!>>
Aah but did they let on at the interview? :E

maxy101
9th Jan 2004, 00:31
Bigtudor More likely that the CRM aspects of the flight could be tricky, putting both crew members in potentially difficult positions. I remember seeing one such "pairing" in the Friday firelighter and thanking my lucky stars I wasnīt in the air that day. The fathers opening line to the CC on the bus was "Hello, you can call me "GOD (He didnīt let on to the CC that his name was Godfrey) From what I can gather it runs in the genes....