View Full Version : Omelettes... what do you put in yours?

Techchick
2nd Jan 2004, 05:05
Was treated today to one of the finest omelettes ever!!

It contained onion, garlic, chillies, ginger, mixed herbs, bacon, potato (just a little) roast parsnip (yes, really!!) tomatoes, lemon juice, and, obviously, several eggs.

Fantastic!!!!!!

What do you put in yours?

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd Jan 2004, 06:01
Thinly shaved biltong, cream and dark beer.

Rich, and can come back to haunt ya if not properly exorcised!

Onan the Clumsy
2nd Jan 2004, 07:45
Ham 'n' cheese.

McD
2nd Jan 2004, 07:57
Onions, Green Peppers, Red Peppers, Mushrooms, Tomatoes, Spinach, Mixed Herbs, & one or more types of Cheese

PLUS

Any or all (or none, if I want a veggie omelette) of the following: Ham, Sausage, Bacon

NB: To keep the calories/cholesterol down, I usually use one whole egg and two egg whites (or similar ratio). Doesn't hurt the flavor at all.

seacue
2nd Jan 2004, 08:04
Today, some mixed vegetables ... and a piece of tooth while consuming said omelet. Another dentist visit tomorrow it seems.

twilightsglow
2nd Jan 2004, 08:39
Onions, green and red peppers, and cheese.

BlueDiamond
2nd Jan 2004, 09:00
Ham, cheese, tomato and mushroom.

Yummmmmmm

:D :D

Ascend Charlie
2nd Jan 2004, 10:56
Any of the above, plus a dab of orange marmalade and a sprinkling of lime juice on the finished article, just before I put the last thing into my omelette - a fork!

AerBabe
2nd Jan 2004, 16:31
Whatever I have around. My grandad used to make a great omelette with cream, onions, tomatoes, peppers and other things I can't remember. It was so thick you could cut it into wedges to eat.

Jam's nice in omelettes too.

BlueDiamond
2nd Jan 2004, 16:39
Does anyone know what goes into a Spanish omelette???

5bucksyourbeautiful
2nd Jan 2004, 16:49
omelettes are yucky.

Ascend Charlie
2nd Jan 2004, 17:18
$5, you miserable old coot! Omelettes yucky? You probably also think that "love hurts", but that's only because you ain't doing it right.

Mind you, a runny omelette can only be SO runny before it looks a bit like a huge sneeze...:yuk:

G-ALAN
2nd Jan 2004, 18:07
Cheese, mushroom, onion, bacon, sausage and noodles! mmmmmmmmmm oh yeah and a liberal dose of tomato sauce :D :D

Boss Raptor
2nd Jan 2004, 18:19
A basic Spanish omelette is just with potatoes (grated or sliced), onions and black pepper...plus the attentions of a rather lovely spanish girl and a bottle of vino tinto

Nice additions include combinations of peppers, chillies, mushrooms, beansprouts, sliced sausage (or even small chipolatas/hot dogs whole), broccoli, tomatoes, sweetcorn, baby sweetcorn, courgette, tuna, celery, small meatballs, cooked chicken, chopped ham, peas, green beans, broad beans, gherkins, leeks, cheese and of course paprika or curry powder

Trying to introduce a bit of BR's multicultural lifestyle to Spanish cuisine :ok:

McD
3rd Jan 2004, 00:44
Oh yeah, forgot an item that's really good on occasion -- smoked salmon. Yummy!

Haven't tried broccoli or beans in an omelette - thanks BR :ok:

By the way, just finished a multi-veg+ham+cheese (grated asiago & cheddar) omelette. Dee-lish!

brockenspectre
3rd Jan 2004, 01:52
One thing I love to do with omelettes (whatever the "fixins") is to make em large and fluffy. I heard this called the souffle omelette but I just think of them as fluffy ones!

Separate yolks from whites - mix your ingredients of choice and seasoning in to the yolks, whisk the whites to stiff peaks, fold the whites into the yolk mix (without losing too much of the fluff if possible) and then add to heated oil in fry pan, using a fork to drag the mixture from the edge of the pan to the centre until it begins to set to ensure it cooks evenly. When the omelette is nearly set, use a fish slice to fold it in half and serve!!

:ok:

P.S. you gotta be sure no yolk splits into the whites otherwise they won't "fluff up"... so if a yolk does split I just revert to a regular omelette!!

maxman
3rd Jan 2004, 01:59
Ham and cheese, and a dash of tabasco sauce mmmmmmmmmmm

pigboat
3rd Jan 2004, 02:11
I'll go along with maxman, plus a handful of chopped green onions.:ok:

Chaffers
3rd Jan 2004, 11:30
As long as there's chilli and a bulb or two of garlic you can put anything in there. :)

My favourite omelette always comprises of whatever happens to be lying around the kitchen. :ok:

Send Clowns
3rd Jan 2004, 21:34
Whatever I have, but favourite is potato, onion, mushroom and pepper (all pre-fried) with some tomato, garlic, a few herbs and cheese in the egg mix, which must be made with milk. Start cooking the mix and then add the potato, onion etc, cook it until solid most of the way through then fold and serve with granary bread - should have a runny middle. Mmmmmmm...

TimS
4th Jan 2004, 14:38
I rarely share my culinary secrets, but consider this my new year present to pruners ....

When making any omelette add a pinch of curry powder to the mixture - you won't taste the curry but you will have an eggier omelette (just like adding anchovies to almost any beef dish - ooops just let another one slip !)

Try it - it really works ......

Chaffers
4th Jan 2004, 19:06
What have you got against tasting the curry powder? :confused:

While yer at it stick 10-15 birds eye chillis in there for a bit of sparkle.

Techchick
4th Jan 2004, 20:48
What about olives, feta and pistacios??:uhoh: :uhoh: :uhoh:

Cardinal Puff
4th Jan 2004, 20:58
Smoked trout, black truffle, cream.

Smoked salmon and capers.

Haddock, spring onion and chili.

Herring, sour cream and red onion.

Parma ham, black mushrooms and Emmentaler.

Techchick
4th Jan 2004, 21:01
CP,

What, no biltong in any of those???:E :E :E

Cardinal Puff
4th Jan 2004, 21:03
My alter ego beat me to it.

Techchick
4th Jan 2004, 21:10
Speaking of biltong,

Is that game biltong or good old beef biltong? Recently purchased beef biltong with peri peri on it.... yummmy...........

But the cats licked it then someone ate it...... :E :E :E

Cardinal Puff
4th Jan 2004, 21:20
Beef biltong if ya want it a little wetter. Shouldn't eat game biltong too wet. Really dry kudu biltong given a few good smacks with a large hammer to powder it then sprinkled over a slice of toast with Marmite....Mmmmmgood! Probably go quite well on omelettes too.

The peri-peri thing is quite popular. Thin spicy strips that crack when you bite them.... called chili bites. Got thin flakes like crisps as well but about the size of a banknote.... Drool, slurp....Carnivores unite!

Techchick
4th Jan 2004, 21:22
In my time in Africa, chilli bites consisted of onion, lettuce, curry powder, and egg fried into little balls...............

Oops, i forgot to mention the flour...... mix all ingredients together then deep fry in teaspoonfuls...... yummmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyy

Cardinal Puff
4th Jan 2004, 21:25
Little chili balls. Yep, know 'em. Great in Durban with cold beer watching the Sharks take a beating :E .

Techchick
4th Jan 2004, 21:26
Loved Durban, it's a bit like Blackpool without the rock and the gebbits..........

Cardinal Puff
4th Jan 2004, 23:08
Pavlov's dog, me!

Slithered into kitchen slavering like a wolf and turned out fluffy omelette (thanks, brockenspectre) with Roquefort, bacon and chives. Good combo.

TC, Durbs has rock and gebbits aplenty. What we don't have is pebbly beaches where yez hops along yelping like puppy if yez didn't bring sandals.

brockenspectre
5th Jan 2004, 02:06
hehehehe CP I will have to join you in the Pavlov dog gang as I had to have an omelette for brekkie today after walking hound. I had been planning a "regular" Sunday morning brekkie of bacon, fried eggs, shrooms and toms but walking hound my mind turned to omelettes (I wonder why!) and so I cut bacon into small pieces, chopped up onion, quartered chestnut shrooms all of which I pre-fried separately (not forgetting a couple drops of soy sauce when the shrooms were nearly done!), then I deseeded a couple of toms and... did the fluffy omelette "thang" twas deeelish and hound thought so too as he had his tiny share, apres moi and minus the onions!! :ok:

Chaffers
5th Jan 2004, 02:09
Marmite....... Thats what's been missing from my omelettes all these years. :ok:

Techchick
5th Jan 2004, 02:47
Marmite???????????????
(cowers in the corner):yuk: :yuk: :yuk: