PDA

View Full Version : RAeS

sangiovese.
29th Dec 2003, 05:27
Is the RAeS worth joining as a professional body? Although I fit into the qualifications for joining as a member and have the appropriate sponsors, is it worth it? Does it offer networking opportunities beyond the lecture programmes? Is it worth the cost? I'm not the 'get some letters after your name' type. Purely interested in joining a professsional body for professional enhancement.

Any opinions gratefully received

TVM:ok:

Captain Airclues
29th Dec 2003, 06:35
Discussed here (www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=92888&highlight=RAeS)

Airclues

scroggs
30th Dec 2003, 23:38
I can't think of anyone in my company that is a member. If they are, they're very shy about it! I did try joining myself some time back, but my lack of 'sponsors' (i.e. you have to know two members who will vouch for you) put the kibosh on that! I'm not feeling seriously disadvantaged by lack of membership.

If you want the letters after your name, go for it - if you can find the sponsors. If you're after serious discussion of the meatier topics in aviation, or career advice, then Pprune's a much better (and cheaper) resource!

Scroggs

Jinkster
31st Dec 2003, 06:06
I have just applied to join as a student to the Royal Aeronautical Society.

I have recieved a letter dated December 5th saying my application is being processed.

Have they forgotten (thanks BGPM ;) ) about me as December 5th is quite along time ago?

Does anyone know when the office at 4HP will be due back after Christmas?

Many thanks,

Jinkster

sangiovese.
31st Dec 2003, 18:18
Thanks for that guys. Might just give it a go for a couple of years and see what happens.

Happy New Year to all too.

741A
1st Jan 2004, 18:21
Jinkster
Have they forgot about me as December 5th is quite along time ago?No you haven't been forgotton, it was a very busy month with 19,000 membership renewals for 2004 being processed by just a few staff. Applications are therefore taking a little longer than usual to deal with. The office reopens on Monday Jan 5th BTW. Good luck with your application and best wishes for 2004 :ok: .

Jinkster
2nd Jan 2004, 00:52
741A,

Thanks for the reply, was getting worried :ok:

Jinkster
14th Jan 2004, 17:04
Still no sign of a letter from the RAeS, so decided to give them a call.

My membership has been accepted :ok: and a letter will be sent out to me next week. I will recieve the magazine after I have payed the society my fee.

Thanks for all the posts

Jinkster

BigGreenPleasureMachine
17th Jan 2004, 08:51
Good lad Jink, hope its another step on the path trod by J Cunningham, D P Davies et al....

Jinkster
29th Feb 2004, 06:42
Now a member - its been a long wait.

May see some prooner at a lecture.

All the best,

Jinkster