PDA

View Full Version : Any ATP / Ex-ATP drivers for advice...

jafo33
31st Dec 2003, 01:14
With Emerald now gaining ATP's can any current or past ATP pilots share their wisdom?

Any amusing stories, quirks or handling tips they could pass on?

145qrh
3rd Jan 2004, 05:50
Amusing Stories---- ADVANCED, nuff said

Quirks----Electrics,Hydraulics,Doors,Bloody Doors,Air Con

Handled best with a 10 foot barge pole

topman999
3rd Jan 2004, 06:13
Jafo33,

Spent 2 years as FO on type in the 80's. Drop me a PM if you want specific details.
Thanks

Jetavia
3rd Jan 2004, 07:02
ATP also known among ex. ATP drivers as the horable deathtrap!

All day breakfast
7th Jan 2004, 20:25
If you are a budgie driver at present then there are no surprises at all. Handling is similair, just a little bit heavier in roll.
It's great having tv's with a map of your route available should you choose to use it. If you do, it is very easy to loose the map in your head!
I spent about three years on the ATP and in that time had very few problems. Occassional propeller anti ice failures, tv screen failures and a couple of glitches. First flight of the day, if it had been raining overnight, quite frequently the inverters would not work until they had been dried out.
A great novelty having an autopilot. Definetely two cups of tea per sector now.
If your training is on the simulator, which was in Prestwick, although I was at Woodford a few weeks ago and heard that it may be being relocated to there, there are no particular worries, but it really is not like the aeroplane. The simulator is twitchy, particularly in pitch. May I suggest lowering the armrests, being careful not to knock over the cup of tea, and lock your arms on to them. This helps to stop pilot induced oscillation in roll. Did for me anyway.
If you end up going on to the ATP enjoy it. A nice progression from the budgie.