PDA

View Full Version : Concorde certification

4Greens
29th Dec 2003, 14:38
Still trying to find out how and what certification the Concorde received for an explosive decompression. Any clues anyone?

Genghis the Engineer
29th Dec 2003, 18:26
I suggest that your best bet for an answer would be the airworthiness department at BAE Systems, Filton, Bristol (UK).

I'm afraid that I've no direct contacts that I can offer there, but if all else fails try via the local RAeS branch. It's not, very sadly, as if they've anything to hide any more :{

G

exeng
30th Dec 2003, 04:19
Can't help you directly with the question I'm afraid.

My F/E friends who used to operate the A/C have told me that a serious decompression at cruising level could very possibly have lead to a permanent cessation of activities for the pax and Cabin Crew, and quite likely the Tech Crew as well.

Regards
Exeng

BOAC
30th Dec 2003, 04:23
The military explosive decompression training (25,000ft to 60,000ft in a bang and a flash) required pressure breathing equipment and jacket to enable survival, as lungs and things otherwise tend to expode rather nastily (PS Do not try and hold your breath!). I do not know if Concorde had anything like that. I suspect not and that anything other than a slow decomp would have been disastrous for all.