PDA

View Full Version : Weather RMK Identifier

danyoren
28th Dec 2003, 20:45
Hi,

Where can I find the all explanations about the RMK words?

What is the mining of the RMK?

CYYZ 281306Z 00000KT 1SM BR SCT240 RMK FG2CI1

Thank's

jtstream
28th Dec 2003, 22:02
As far as I remember, that is to explain what is the extent of the cloud coverage. In more details, it tells in different terms what the coverage is. In this case, they are reporting 2/8 fog and 1/8 cirrus coverage.

rodquiman
29th Dec 2003, 18:01
The indicator RMK indicates the begining of a section containing information included by national decission and which will not be emitted internationally.

That´s what my book says.

let_me_fly
30th Dec 2003, 18:19
As far as I know in the UK, RMK in a METAR or it may just be TREND.....?, or commonly referred to as a landing forecast can only be issued if a qualified Met man is present at the time of compiling the METAR. I know a TREND is a general forecast trend for the next 2 hrs. If only a observer that is not a qualified Met man is present then no TREND can be issued as the METAR is really an observation and not a forecast.

Again I’m not sure if the RMK would be the same as a TREND in needing a qualified Met man……..?

FEBA
30th Dec 2003, 18:28
JTstream is close but I'm not sure that 2/8 (octas) fog is correct. The full decode will be in your jeppesen manual, MET section. RMK in N America is reserved for general met observations only on metars or speci.
Regards and happy new year to all
FEBA

Jinkster
31st Dec 2003, 06:18
Try and get hold of a copy of 'Get Met' published by the UK Met Office - i think its free.

http://www.met-office.gov.uk/aviation/

Best of luck

Jinkster

604guy
31st Dec 2003, 06:36
Fog 2, Cirrus 1 is indeed correct.

bookworm
31st Dec 2003, 16:33
Fog 2, Cirrus 1 is indeed correct

This is a Canadian speciality.

The conventions used are the same as in the Canadian hourly observation on the Surface Weather Record. That particular part is described here (http://www.msc-smc.ec.gc.ca/msb/manuals/manobs/PDF/English/chap10_pg21to40_e.pdf) as column 40. Although it says that F (not FG) is fog, the convention used in METARs seems to be FG. Fog seems to encompass mist for the purpose of the RMK.