PDA

View Full Version : Heavy jet type ratings

darren44
22nd Dec 2003, 10:48
Lets say you'v got 1000hrs and a multi eng CIR, would getting a heavy jet type endorsement really help to get into an airline that will train you anyway...??? as oposed to those who dont?

Fright Level
22nd Dec 2003, 17:38
It worked for me. The jump in pay once I got onto the jet covered the cost of the rating in about 3 months. That first jet job then got me into BA so it was the best investment I ever made.

Plenty of PPRUNERS will tell you not to waste your money providing something the airlines should pay for, but I'd far rather be in Singapore typing this than carrying a pile of newspapers over the channel tonight.

Flame Out
23rd Dec 2003, 02:55
It all depends on the airline. And it depends on you and your flying background (1000 hrs in what? there is a difference between 1000 in an Aztec and 1000 in a Jetstream or a SAAB), your passport, right to abode...the list goes on.

Most will not hire you unless they are verydesperate and need a seat warmer since you have no time in type. On the other hand you can show up in places like Africa or other small developing countries and they'll pick you up because you are typed. They'll stick you in with a experience left seater and before you know it, voila, you have time in type. Asides from that, with major airlines, buying a type proves nothing. Anyone with money can buy a type but can they fly? If they hire you they will train you anyway, their ways.

In the US, getting a first type in a heavy jet, will require you to do touch and goes in the real thing. That can get very expensive quickly. Remember, in avaition, what works for somebody might not work for you and what works for you might not work for somebody else. :ok:

darren44
23rd Dec 2003, 07:05
Thanks guys for your thoughts, most of my time would have been on singles, so i thought it would be to much of a jump anyway
any ideas where to go from here, i am an aussie pilot too by the way.. based in W.A.

18-Wheeler
23rd Dec 2003, 17:51
I got lucky - For various reasons I bought a 747 Classic rating in 1995, and in 1998 I started work for a Pacific based company, and have worked in 747's ever since.
There's certainly no guarantee though.