View Full Version : What is the point of Dr Pepper, when Cherry Coke tastes exactly the same?

lilhippy2001
21st May 2001, 19:46
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gifI have pondered on this thought for a long while now, and I finally decided to see what anyone else thinks??
The Coca Cola company makes both Cherry Coke and Dr Pepper...Why? They both taste exactly the same?? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif
Now you see, on the back of the Dr Pepper can, it says mixed friut drink...but it just tastes exactly the same as Cherry Coke...Does anyone have a sensible answer for this, or has the whole Coca Cola company just lost it's tastebuds? :rolleyes:

Evanelpus
21st May 2001, 20:48
Crap, crap, crap.

I have been addicted to Dr Pepper since it was first introduced into this country and I for one don't think it tastes like Cherry Coke.

No no no no no.

submitted by an impartial person.

traveler
21st May 2001, 22:43
I don't drink either one.
So I asked Mrs. Trav, since she knows everything.
She agrees with Evanelpus. Not the same apparently.
And she loves that Dr. Pepper stuff. Her whole family does.
They buy it by the case-load. Drink it all the time.
I don't understand why. But that happens a lot lately.

JPJ
21st May 2001, 23:01
For that matter , what is the point of an Audi when a Skoda is the same bits for 60 per cent of the price?

Natterjack
21st May 2001, 23:11
I'm suggesting that Coca Cola decided to use an extension strategy in order to further the life of their increasing failing Cherry Coke.

An extension strategy is normally used whilst a product is at the maturity or the saturation stage (both stages offer the firm maximum profit for a product) in the product life cycle. Generally speaking, it is best and most preferable to use an extension strategy prior to the decline stage. This, the final stage of the product life cycle, is where the product generally performs badly, and frequently makes a loss (with reference to the Boston Matrix, a product at the decline stage is a "dog", i.e. it needs attention or else it will cause problems, e.g. lose money).

Extension strategies can be seen if one looks at Mars, for example. This company now offers Mars ice cream, Mars drinks, and different varities of the famous Mars Bar, for example dark, milk and white. This essentially furthers the life of a product which would, if no action was taken, simply cease to be created; very few people would purchase the product as it would have come to the end of its life. Hence, the out of touch product would need to be altered, adapted or re-created (the extension strategy) as in the Mars example above, or simply withdrawn from production completely.

In conclusion, I am proposing that Dr. Pepper, a variant of Cherry Coke, is an extension strategy and was created as a result of the original drink heading towards the decline stage.

------------------
I spend most of my money on beer and women; the rest I just waste.

[This message has been edited by Natterjack (edited 21 May 2001).]

Hersham Boy
22nd May 2001, 00:02
NONE of you guys are in marketing are you?!

*ducks*

------------------
I'm in the hi-fidelity first class traveling set and I think I need a Lear jet

Nil nos tremefacit
22nd May 2001, 00:07
Thing is that the strategy has worked for Mars. This means that we currently cannot justify demolishing Slough because somebody is buying the products.

No more products. No more Mars. No more Slough!!! :)

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough (Betjeman)

Hersham Boy
22nd May 2001, 00:08
And put that copy of Kotler down, Nats, and go flying...

Hehe ;)

Natterjack
22nd May 2001, 00:09
HB mate - I remember it from last year ;) Face it buddy, you're out of a job :)

[This message has been edited by Natterjack (edited 21 May 2001).]

JudyTTexas
22nd May 2001, 03:20
My taste buds say there is definitely a difference between Cherry Coke and Dr. Pepper.

Besides, Dr. Pepper is made out of, "guess?"...PRUNES. :)

Pdub
22nd May 2001, 06:16
Prunes? afraid not, at least according to snopes http://www.snopes2.com/business/secret/drpepper.htm a well known dubunking website. And as for it being an "extension strategy" for Coke, boy thoses guys must really think ahead, Dr Pepper was created in 1885. Besides which Coke doesn't even own Dr Pepper, it only bottles it in the UK fo DP beverages.

Phew

JudyTTexas
22nd May 2001, 07:28
PDub, Thank you for that fine report. I take a bowel for your efforts. ;)

pigboat
22nd May 2001, 07:43
Dr. Pepper may not contain prunes, but it appears PPRuNes may contain Dr. Pepper.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/redface.gif

Tartan Gannet
22nd May 2001, 11:20
Having drank both I find that Dr Pepper has a slightly savoury undertaste whereas Cherry Coke is only sweet.

BTW could the "Prune Juice" myth be associated with some soft drinks especially the diet or lite versions using Sorbitol instead of good old natural sugar? Sorbital has a laxative effect for many people and perhaps people suffering an attack of the sh**ts after drinking such as canned drink may have originated this idea.

I must say that the best way to ensure I will NOT eat or drink a product is to brand it "lite" or "diet" or "healthy options".

Feeton Terrafirma
22nd May 2001, 16:21
How can anyone mix up a Dr Pepper and a Cherry Coke?

I have been addicted to Dr Pepper since my first trip to the USA in the early 90's, and I used to import it to Oz for my personal consumption. Later the Schweppes Co in Oz started to bottle it under licence, and I'm their best customer. I must note that it's not quite the same recipe or taste though.

As to Cherry Coke, I have never seen it bottled as such, I've always seen and drunk it as a hand mixed drink at a bar. Unfortunately cherry syrup is virtually impossible to obtain in Oz. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Anyway, bottoms up!

------------------
I'm not a PPRuNe addict. (just need one more post)

foghorn
22nd May 2001, 18:34
Nils,

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough
It isn't fit for humans now
There's hardly grass to graze a cow
Swarm over, death!

Come bombs and blow to smithereens
Those air-conditioned, bright canteens...

(and that's where foggy's memory runs out... thanks go to Sir John Betchemen)

Mobster
22nd May 2001, 21:33
For anybody willing to try a slightly alcoholic Dr. Peppers prepare as follows:

Take one half pint glass and pour in approx. one inch lager
Add approx three inch coke (at least until glass 3/4 full
Depth charge with one shot glass full of Ammoretto.
Chug down.......tell me it tastes different.

For best effect line glasses next to each other with the rims touching and balance shot glass on rims (need an empty glass at one end) tap shot glass at one end which domino's into others , as shot glass drops into your glass grab and drink.Take one half pint glass and pour in approx. one inch lager
Add approx. three inch coke (at least until glass 3/4 full

For best effect line glasses next to each other with the rims touching and balance shot glass on rims (need an empty glass at one end) tap shot glass at one end which domino's into others, as shot glass drops into your glass grab and drink.

Mobster
22nd May 2001, 21:39
Take one half pint glass and pour in approx. one inch lager
Add approx. three inch coke (at least until glass 3/4 full

For best effect line glasses next to each other with the rims touching and balance shot glass on rims (need an empty glass at one end) tap shot glass at one end which domino's into others, as shot glass drops into your glass grab and drink.

Pdub
23rd May 2001, 01:30
Prune rumour dates from 1930, could have been a bit of rumour mongering by Coke to protect their market.

Like Feeton, I used to have to ensure a surreptitios supply of Root Beer from the PX of my local US air base, before local supermarket started to stock it. Not the same as A+W though.

now thats another subject Root Beer :- Tasty beverage or cough medicine?

FlyFreeWbe
23rd May 2001, 02:12
My my, all I can say is that my friend lilhippy2001 can sre pick out the strangest, if not definately intriguing, subjects to talk about.
Are you an addict of the Dr.Pep yourself? Just sounds like one of those things you come up with in the middle of the night when you realise that everyone else is anywhere but with you.
Don't feel bad...the buzz goes after a while http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

dingducky
23rd May 2001, 07:49
i tried dr pepper not long ago. we had chery coke here ages ago but not anymore.
from what i could remember it tasted alot alike.
does anyone else think it tastes like almond icing?
the dr pepper i tried was brought all the way to nz by a texan who insisted that me and my best friend try it.
we were concered they he may be wanted to poison us (which poison tastes like almonds? i can't remember).
but then we were brave and drank it coz we figured he's a texan so if he wanted to kill us he would probably use a chainsaw!

------------------
A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

lilhippy2001
23rd May 2001, 18:08
:)I'd just like to reply to my dear friend...FlyFreeWbe. I happen to love Dr. Pepper, and it wasn't because I was lonely or anything else..just simply because I like the taste...so there. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif
If you have anything else to say on the matter, I suggest you mail me boy. otherwise I am really gonna irritate you...
So long friend! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

cudgy_funt
23rd May 2001, 19:09
Bullshit
Dr. Pepper tastes of Sherbet more than anythin else to me
Cherry Coke tastes more of well, cherrys

gas path
24th May 2001, 02:09
It's all crap!!!!

What about Dandelion and Burdock?