PDA

View Full Version : Best Flying Job in the World?

rawmac
17th Dec 2003, 18:02
Just wondering what you consider the best flying job you've had or the one you reckon would be the best to have.

I spent 3 years flying in the bush in Botswana and reckon that was one of the best jobs for fun, lifestyle etc. Chasing antelope off of runways, watching herds of elephant and zebra from a few hundred feet, sunsets on game drives, great accommodation and hospitality on night stops at the camps and a couple of 1000 hours to put in the logbook - all P1.

I thought nothing could be better, but now am flying to the highlands and islands for Scotland's Airline doing the closest thing to bush flying in western Europe I guess. Great scenery, diverse weather, excellent roster and in the airline environment.

So what other jobs are out there that combine nice lifestyle with good flying?

G-Foxtrot Oscar 69
17th Dec 2003, 18:19
I recon you had the best job! So don't rub it in:{

I have always though the Flying Mission would be great as you get the same sort of bush flying but can make a real difference to people.

BTW where do I apply for your old job!

rawmac
17th Dec 2003, 23:06
Maun is the place to look. 7 operators who will hire 200 hour pilots as well as experienced jocks - got to turn up in the flesh though.

Nice and safe environment in Botswana along with well maintained aircraft - singles, twins and turbines. Good place to start off a flying career I think.

Max Angle
18th Dec 2003, 02:18
I reckon one of the best flying jobs in the world came to an end at LHR on the 24th October this year.

GlueBall
18th Dec 2003, 03:52
The best flying job is an aerial adventure: Flying for yourself, in your own airplane, going where and when you wanna go.

ComJam
18th Dec 2003, 06:17
My job wins (obviously :)), biz-jets, formation flying, low-level, lots of international travel, decent enough pay structure (mostly) and a nice long time off over xmas and new year.

Sweet. :ok:

SpamCanDriver
19th Dec 2003, 02:45
Hey Rawmac check your PM's:hmm:

T O G A Boy
19th Dec 2003, 16:19
hi all..
I reckon the best job is any job that while doing it u do it with so much pleasure and when u have time off, u cant wait to go back to work again...

rawmac
20th Dec 2003, 01:11
SpamCanDriver - check your PM mate.

DB6
20th Dec 2003, 19:27
I reckon Ray Hanna's got the best flying job, but rawmac, I hope it's as good as you say 'cos I've just joined you (albeit on the SAAB) :ok: .

West Coast
22nd Dec 2003, 00:53
Best flying job

One where I am home every night, or at least all most all of them. Hub out to xyz and then back and call it the day. Alas, I am not nearly senior enough to hold them.

bcqc
22nd Dec 2003, 03:42
hey rawmac,
would you mind elaborating on those carriers in Botswana willing to hire lowtimers...cheers
ps. names will facilitate a web search at least and/or advice on contacting them

rawmac
23rd Dec 2003, 03:50
No worries.

7 operators with what they've got:

Safari Air (The Booking Company) C206/207/210 BN2B GA8
Sefofane C206/208
Mack Air C206/208/210 PA31
Delta Air C206/C210 BN2A PA31
Northern Air C206
Moremi Air C206/208/210 BN2A
Swamp Air C206

In all about 45 aircraft involved in the air transport business.

Telephone/fax nos. I cannot recall, but Botswana Telecom's directory is available on the web.

Talk to them, send them a CV but you'll need to rock up in person to get the job. January/Feb probably best time to be in Maun to look for work.

Can't rate the experience - flying and otherwise highly enough. They'll take any nationality with an ICAO licence - even Canadians! (joke).

And they pay too. None of this pay for your rating/flying crap. Not a huge amount by Western standards but sufficient for a nice life in southern Africa.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

J-Heller
23rd Dec 2003, 05:20
Rawmac,

Could you say whether it would be possible to get work in Africa with a CPL only (No IR)? If yes, what are your broader thoughts on trying that?

Thanks,

JH

rawmac
23rd Dec 2003, 20:16
JH,

The flying in Botswana is all VFR so an IR is not essential. Ultimately the air charter companies are looking for guys who'll fit in with the other pilots and who'll have a good way with the clients.

Whilst it's likely any company that's interested in you would take you up for a test flight to check you can fly, you'd end up doing a minimum of 50 hours flying into the Okavango delta and its bush strips before you'd be let loose.

I know of a number of CPL onlys who've done a couple of seasons and then polished the IR off. To a certain extent, with an extra 1000 hours under your belt, the IR should be a lot more straightforward.

At times there can be upwards of 20 guys looking for work and maybe only a couple of jobs coming up, then it becomes a case of keeping your spirits up, staying positive and believing in yourself.

Felix Lighter
23rd Dec 2003, 20:53
Is it even worth mentioning...........?

The flying best job in the world - assumes you can first hover!

Sadly I am now flying 744s but not a day goes by that I do remember those 4500 low level helo hours.

Im 33yo and it all seems to have changed far too soon. The only person who really seems happy about the cureent way of life is the bank manager.

Btw, my civilian friends from Bots and PNG have equally compelling "war-stories". Ahhh, those were the days.

DONT MOVE TO THE AIRLINES TOOOOOOOOO SOON!

J-Heller
23rd Dec 2003, 21:50
Rawmac,

Thanks for your help.

JH

ehwatezedoing
24th Dec 2003, 08:05
In aerial work category:

:ok: Water bombing :ok:

dude41
1st Jan 2004, 22:52
Best flying job in the world? Flying a Tornado GR4 at 600kts at 100ft does it for me!!! But no matter what you do, if you have a smile on your face at the end of the day, you have the best flying job in the world.:ok:

Airbedane
2nd Jan 2004, 01:14
I was just about to agree with you there, Felix Lighter, but I then saw that you meant hover with rotating airfoils ;) ;)

I used to believe I had the best flying job in the World when I joined Rolls-Royce as a Test Pilot in 1989. I was flying a Harrier GR5 with the uprated 11-61 engine on flight test, a BAC 1-11 on corporate duties, a Spitfire XIV again on corporate duties and an AC112 as a hack. Add that to the odd weekend display with the Harvard Team and I was in Pilot Heaven.

Jockbas
27th Jul 2004, 14:24
OK guys and gals, please go easy on my ignorance here, this is my first post and I haven't done any research yet :confused:

Basically, at 33yo I have a very good job here in the UK, driving trains for around 35K pa. But something's missing.

My wife-to-be is French of Gabonse desent and I have recently returned from my first trip to Africa, visiting her folks. Surpise, shock, happiness, sadness: so many emotions I felt when going round but I've come back to the UK and I want more.

We've been building a house in Libreville, the capital which we intend to use for holidays, family etc and to spend more time there ourselves when we get older but it's got me thinking (dreaming?) about this.

I've always been an adventurer and a bit into planes (though never a 'spotter' :eek: ) but it's got me thinking. What a place to do it all :D .

Now folks, please present me with the realities.

Flarkey
27th Jul 2004, 14:50
To be honest, I'd be happy flying rubber dog shi!t out of Hong Kong.

:{

G-ANDY
29th Jul 2004, 10:32
"rubber dog shi!t out of Hong Kong"

Somebodys been watching Top Gun recently?!! I'll join you with your choice though!! If its got wings and an engine; I wanna fly it!