PDA

View Full Version : Eager Beaver

SpeedBird 001
16th Dec 2003, 02:11
Good evening all,

A few questions about these damned ground school exams (ATPL's). I am desperate to get on with the studying for the exams but am already doing a degree at Leeds Uni. I've already got my PPL and wanna get the study's out of the way before I start any more training. I cant right off my time to study because I've already got a high work load with the degree course. Is it possible for me to enrol on a distant learning course and then just have the manuals lying around for a year or so before starting them full time? My degree course is a BSc Aviation and management and has a big aerodynamics module involved. I thought I could use the manuals from Bristol to help me with Uni and Uni help me with Bristol?? Does this sound stupid? Any known disadvantages? Has anyone else used the manuals for uhh-hum, 'bedtime reading'? I just wanted to make sure that there is no "expiry" on how long you have to do a distant learning module.

Cheers again

Birdseed :ok:

Dick Whittingham
16th Dec 2003, 03:31
No limit on study time. The clock starts ticking when you sit your first exam.

Dick W

FlyingForFun
16th Dec 2003, 16:19
Yes, Dick is right that the clock starts ticking with your first exam. So no problem having manuals sitting around... until your first exam, and after that you need to knuckle down and get the rest done. The only other problem with having manuals sitting around is that they go out of date as the syllabus changes or feedback is received.

Not sure about using uni notes for ATPLs or ATPL notes for uni. My degree was not aviation-related, but speaking to people who I did my brush-up course with who did have formal training in an aviation-related area, what they teach you for ATPLs is over-simplified in many cases, and plain wrong in others, and knowing the "real" way certain things work can be a disadvantage sometimes. So I'd keep the two separate, personally.

FFF
----------------

SpeedBird 001
16th Dec 2003, 18:41
Cheers guys

DW - If/when I enrol on the modules with Bristol will I be entitled to updates as feedback is received or the course changes? Is there another fee, or is it included in the £1900?!

FFF - Thanks for that reply. A bit un-nerving though that the ATPL is 'over-simplified. I know what you mean though. I've been reading posts on here for ages about how the CAA throw "curve balls" for questions. My initial plan was to keep the two seperate, but because they are so closely related I thought it would be a good idea to combine the degree syllabus wit hthe ATPL's - not going to now though. oh yeah, great read on the Diary. You still doing it for fun or earning pots of money yet. Good luck fella

The finest birdseed you can buy!!:ok: