PDA

View Full Version : Italian pilot with FAA rating thinking about JAA

ArcherII
15th Dec 2003, 14:17
Wow...crazy title huh?

Well, I'll give my story in a couple lines, and then ask for some advice/info that would be greatly appreciated.

I came to the US to attend a university and get a degree in Aeronautical Engineering. I will graduate next May with a Bachelors degree.

A year ago I started flying and got my FAA PPL this year. Since starting to fly, I've been having the biggest personal debate on what career I should choose, and where I should work.

The choice is between engineering or professional flying, and between flying in the US or in Europe.

I'm also a little different than your typical pilot. I do not like the idea of flying airlines or commuters. If I do any type of flying professionally I would like to eitehr fly charter or corporate.

I have also been contemplating owning my own charter business, starting off with one twin engine pistion airplane like a Baron or Seneca. This is due the fact that I like flying piston twins, and I learned you can't really make a good living if you never fly jets.

Well, now is the time in my life where I need to make a choice.

I can either go for my Masters degree in Engineering, and fly on the side.

or

I can earn either my JAA or my FAA licences, and try to go for a professional pilot career in the US, Canada or Europe.

One of the more promising options for me seems to be to go down to Florida and get both my JAA and FAA licences there, and finish up training in the UK (as they the schools there are partners with florida schools) and then try to find a job.

Well, I have a ton of questions about flying in europe...privately and commercially.

I have absolutely no clue how things work there. Which is sad, because I'm from Europe myself. I know more about the American system than my own.

One of the main reasons I am getting my FAA licences and thinking about working here, is because I know the system, I am used to it...

For example, it seems difficult for me to comprehend the how such a diverse place with so many languages and cultures can have one system. I know the JAA is new, I was wondering if you guys could tell me the extent of it's influence to flight in Europe. Do individual countries still have their own rules?

For example flying under IFR. IFR involves a ton of knowledge. Here in teh US, all charts are teh same, controllers say the same things, pilots say the same things...the radio aids, instrument procedures are the same...how does it work in europe will all the different countries?

Last two questions:

Can someone who has earned all the JAA ratings in the US (with some of the training in the UK) be able to adapt to flying in Europe as compared to someone who has trained and flew in Europe all the time?

How is the job market in Europe? is it as bad as here in the US?

Here in teh US people who want to have a career in flying get their ratings and come out with some 300 hours. At this point, no one will hire them except banner towing ops, traffic watch etc...and 90% of pilots go on instructing for liek 2 years at least till they get 1000 to 2000 hours. Then they find a charter or freight job flying twin pistons and fly for another like 500 to 1000 hours. The fly turbines liek King Airs for another couple hudnreds hours...only then do they apply to regional or corporate positions iwth lieke 3000 hours of flight time and hundreds of hours of multi-engine turbine time.

I hear in Europe is a whole different arena. I hear pilots get to be 737 FOs with 300 hours.

Well, I'm sorry for the large number of questions...I'm just very very curious to how flying works in my home continent...and I'm thinking of coming back and flying at home rather than in the US...where most places require permanent residence which is hard to attain...

oh...currently I am an FAA Private Pilot with a complex endorcement. I have flown Piper Warriors, Archer and Arrows. I have 100 hours of flight time.

I just started my FAA instrument rating...

thanx

Archer

ArcherII
15th Dec 2003, 15:50
Oh also, if anyone with experience with International Flight Training Academy, European Flight Training, Naples Air Center, Orlando Flight Training or Phoenix East Aviation could share their opinions on the various schools, I would appreciate that too.

Thanx

Archer

ArcherII
17th Dec 2003, 04:53
Just bringing the thread to the top...