PDA

View Full Version : US Flight Schools - How U Pay 'em?

NI66A
15th Dec 2003, 00:52
Hoping that some of you with some experience of flight schools in the States may be able to offer me some advise!
Off to EFT pretty soon to do the CPL. Can't decide how to pay them......ie. should i take £7000 in travellers cheques or use the nasty plastic? :mad:
Want to be able to keep track of exactly what i spend in order that i don't get shafted by them! :hmm:
Thanks.

Julian
15th Dec 2003, 15:43
I paid in $1000 chunks on my plastic, that way if anything did go t1ts up with the flight school you wouldnt loose too much money. I was pleasantly surprised when I got home as when the bill came in so I could pay it off I had actually been given a more favourable exchange rate than if I had changed my money on the street.

FlyingForFun
15th Dec 2003, 16:03
Agree with Julian. EFT were quite happy for me to pay by credit card, which saves having to worry about how much money to convert, or loosing your cash or travellers cheques. Pay in small amounts - $1000 at a time sounds good.

If they have a deposit (EFT took a deposit from me before the course, so I assume they do the same for everyone) then try to end up owing them money - it's a lot easier than trying to get the deposit back from them afterwards! But make sure that you always pay prompty when asked... if you tend to make a fuss about paying, then you can't blame them for not letting you owe them money.

FFF
-------------

onehunga
15th Dec 2003, 20:18
Agree with using credit cards and have always gotten good rates plus at least some recourse if things go pear shaped. Be careful to check with the schools as to what (if any) credit card surcharge they apply. Some do and some don't in my experience. It can add up and be a nasty surprise if you are caught unawares.