PDA

View Full Version : MEP Initial Class Rating

Cypres
14th Dec 2003, 06:58
Can anyone recommend some good study material for my Multi-Engine Initial Class Rating that I'm hoping to embark on in January.
I've had a quick look in Transair and AFE, both of which stock a few books on the topic.

Does anyone have any comments on the King Multi-Engine DVD Course (Based on a Beech Duchess).

Cheers
Cypres

Keygrip
14th Dec 2003, 09:53
Half information here.....we have to wrk the rest out.

Mention of Transair and AFE suggests you are in U.K. - and therefore want JAA multi book.

King video - if you mean "John & Martha King" - has some comments that are in direct contravention with JAA standards.

Different argument as to which one is correct - not relevant here.

Cypres
14th Dec 2003, 10:38
Keygrip,
thanks for your reply & apologies for the lack of information.

The training will be conducted in the U.K. and I therefore need a book in line with JAA requirements.

The aircraft will be a Beech Duchess - hence the interest in the John & Martha King DVD.

Cypres

GT
15th Dec 2003, 17:53
Hi,

As I teach the MEP rating I thought I'd offer my opinion. The King DVD you refer to I assume (check though!) is the same as their video which is indeed based on the Duchess, but as King doesn't go into areas specific to aircraft type, this makes no difference. I think the video is good and I lend a set to my students during their course. The video doesn't cover the single engine go-around though, as this is not in the FAA syllabus.

As for books, try David Robson's Multi Engine Piston - just out in the past few years and more readable than most. Your instructor should be giving you some direction in this area though, so you could ask him/her. Best of luck with it, it's great fun and builds up your leg muscles too!

Regards, GT.

Cypres
22nd Dec 2003, 02:33
GT

Thanks for the info and taking the time to reply. I'll invest in a copy of the David Robson book and King DVD. (Cheap in comparison to a hour in the actual aircraft)

Cypres