PDA

View Full Version : safety pilot

lodestone flyer
12th Dec 2003, 01:56
Can anyone help me with the 'text book' or a legal definition of a 'safety pilot'?

Much obliged

FlyingForFun
12th Dec 2003, 18:43
"Safety Pilot" is defined in JAR-FCL 1 (http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/451854.pdf) (on page 8 of the linked document):JAR-FCL 1.035(e)

A safety pilot is a pilot who is qualified to act as PIC on the class/type of aeroplane and carried on board the aeroplane, which is fitted with dual controls, for the purpose of taking over control should the PIC holding this specific medical certificate restriction become incapacitated (see IEM FCL 1.035).In addition to this meaning, it is also used to mean a pilot who sits alongside the PIC while the PIC is under simulated instrument conditions in VMC, in order to comply with the requirement to look out. I don't think there is any legal definition of this meaning of the phrase, though.

FFF
--------------

Mark 1
12th Dec 2003, 20:37
The term safety pilot is, confusingly, also used for the competent observer required when simulating IF conditions in VMC, the requirements here are different.

A search on "safety pilot" should find the postings.

Which case are you interested in?

Dave Gittins
12th Dec 2003, 21:17
As a numble PPL I always ask for a "safety pilot" when I hire a plane someplace I ain't been before (or haven't been recently). The intention being that I get somebody to sit in the RHS while I exercise the priveleges of P1 under JAR who knows the local procedures, landmarks, VRPs etc. and speaks the local language.

I normally fly from Fairoaks so I am talking about when I go to Tenerife or Crete or somesuch.

In the strict sense I don't really mean a safety pilot, from the medical or practise IFR point of view, just a "local pilot" but we all know what we mean when we use the term and the plan is to keep me safe.

purr
15th Dec 2003, 15:42
safety pilots are also required for p2 training (single engine to jets) say for the first two sectors with pax on board.:ok: